John C. Lampen, Clerk of Clinton County, and a prominent citizen of Carlyle, was born in Germantown, Ill., February 8, 1852. He is of German parentage, his father, Henry, having been born in Oldenburg, Germany, and there reared to years of maturity. At the age of twenty years, in the year 1838, he crossed the Atlantic to America, and after landing proceeded to Pennsylvania, where he settled in Allegheny City. Two years later he journeyed westward to Illinois, and arriving in Clinton County, settled upon a farm about four miles east of Germantown. He was numbered among the earliest settlers of this section of the state, and at the time of coming here, he found the country in a primeval condition, without improvements and with few settlers save the Indians.

After having cleared his land, Henry Lampen proceeded to the task of tilling the soil and placing the property under improvement. Some years later he sold the place, and purchasing a farm adjoining Germantown one-half mile to the north, he settled there and made it his home for three years. Moving to the village of Germantown, he engaged in the general mercantile business, becoming one of the pioneer merchants of the place. For sixteen years he served as Justice of the Peace and was a stanch Democrat in his political opinions. He erected the first flour mill in Germantown and conducted that enterprise in partnership with Dr. KLEINEKORTE and Henry NIEMEYER until 1865, when Mr. Lampen disposed of his interest to the former gentleman. About 1868 he came to Carlyle, where he engaged in merchandising until 1887. His remaining days were passed in retirement, and at a good old age he passed from earth, September 14, 1890.

In Allegheny, Pa., Henry Lampen was united in marriage with Miss Helen WINKLER, who died leaving two children. One alone survives, Mrs. Mary LANG, a resident of Carlyle. In November of 1840 Mr. Lampen married Margaret WOESTMANN, a native of Germany, and of their union two children were born, John C. and Eliza. The latter married Herman KOCH and is now deceased. The former, our subject, was reared in Germantown and attended the schools of that village prior to the age of thirteen years. He then entered St. Joseph's College, in Teutopolis, Effingham County, Ill., where he conducted his literary researches for two years.

Upon leaving college, Mr. Lampen assisted his father in his mercantile establishment until 1882, when he was appointed Deputy County Clerk under Louis Elwang. He resigned that position in 1890 in order to accept the office of County Clerk, in which capacity he has since served with honor to himself and to the entire satisfaction of the people, irrespective of political views. For years he has been one of the active workers in the Democratic party in this city, and has frequently served as a delegate to local and state conventions. At the present time (1894) he is a candidate for re-election as County Clerk, and the service rendered has proved so satisfactory in the past, that it is safe to predict that his political opponent will not find him an easy man to defeat.

June 10, 1884, occurred the marriage of John C. Lampen and Miss Christina SCHULTE, of St. Louis, Mo. This lady was born in Germany, and in girlhood accompanied her father, Bernard Schulte, to America, growing to womanhood in St. Louis. She is the mother of five children, all living, as follows: Paul Henry, John Bernard, Helen M., Joseph C. and Aloiz N. Mr. and Mrs. Lampen are identified with the Roman Catholic Church, and he is identified with the Knights of Honor. He is one of the most intelligent men and efficient officials in the county. His energy of character and the upright life that has been led by him, alike gain the high regard of all who know him, and all rejoice in his prosperity.

Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Clinton, Washington, Marion and Jefferson Counties, Illinois, 1894, Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago, IL

Submitted by: Connie Albers

Click on the letters below to see an index of obituaries starting with that letter

Database table Bio_Index modified:5 Nov 2016
Page modified:15 Nov 2011