This thriving little city is the principal business point in the western township of Sugar Creek, on the western border of Clinton County. It is distant thirty-one miles from the city of St. Louis on the line of the B. & O. S. W. R. R. It has a population of 1500 souls, mostly German and of German descent. Its schools and churches and various other institutions are well sustained, and are indicative of high intellectual development and a fair degree of refinement. The business men of Trenton are noted for their activity and enterprise.
Trenton City Hall
Trenton Public School
The foundation of Trenton dates back to 1836, when A. W. Casad laid out a town by that name. It was situated north of the state road and is known at the present day as Old Trenton. The resident portion of the present town is built on that old town site. The lots were sold in those early days, but the purchasers never built upon them or even paid for them, and this old town was abandoned. The present town was laid out May 14th, 1855, by Alva Lewis. William Lewis laid out an addition March 12th, 1856. Joseph Hanke's addition was laid out May 22nd of the same year. Sanger Ramp & Co. laid out an addition June 12th of the same year. Wm. Lewis’ second addition was laid out June 11th 1860. Joseph Hanke's second addition was laid out July 2nd, 1866. Mathias Leonard and others laid out an addition May 26th, 1868. Thus the town assumed its present proportions and grew in wealth and commercial importance through the enterprise of the early settlers, and those who joined them subsequently.
The fertility of the soil adjacent to Trenton is inexhaustible, and produces tile finest crops in the state. The farms are models of agricultural art and as a result the commercial interests of Trenton are enhanced. The vast coal deposits that underlie this fertile region also play an important part in the promotion of Trenton's commercial development. Coal mining was inaugurated in a systematic way in 1865 and a mine was in full operation in 1868. The proprietors were, Joseph Hanke, Wm. Schaeffer and John Buchter. Subsequently Mr. Hanke bought out his partners and operated the mine alone, and added largely to his mining facilities by sinking another shaft and otherwise increasing the out put capacity at an enormous cost. His interests were finally disposed of to the Consolidated Coal Company with headquarters in the city of St. Louis. This company has since opened up a new mine east of Trenton on the line of the B. & O. S. W. R. R., which is producing paying quantities of the finest coal on the market. The company employ from 300 to 500 men, most of whom are residents of Trenton, and as a class are above the average in education and intelligence.
A magnificent public school building graces the north side of the city. This is conducted in strict compliance with the admirable school laws of the State of Illinois, and is a powerful factor in shaping the character of the people.
There are four churches, representing the Methodist, Presbyterian, German Evangelical and Catholic denominations. These have all comfortable church edifices, large congregations and a healthy exchequer.
Among the secret and social organizations in good standing we number the following and their places of meeting also noted: A. F. and A. M. Trenton Lodge, No. 109, meets first and third Friday of the month, at Rieman's hall. I. O. O. F., Clinton Lodge, No. 555, meets every Tuesday evening, at Rieman's hall. K. of H. Aetna Lodge, No. 1530, meets the first and third Monday of the month at Rieman's Hall. A. O. G. F. Shiller Lodge, No. 1, meets the second and last Wednesday in the month at Rieman's hall. A. O. U. W. Trenton Lodge, No. 153, meets the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at Rieman's hall. G. A. R: Randall Post, No. 568; meets the Saturday on or before full moon at Rieman's hall. C. K of A. St. George's Branch, No 50, meets first Sunday at Trenton Catholic school house, and third Sunday at Aviston Catholic school house. C. K of Ill., St. John Baptist Branch No. 8, meets the fourth Sunday of the month at the Catholic school house. U. O. T. B., Trenton Lodge, No. 69, meets the first and third Wednesday of the month at Louden's hall. M. W. A., Coral Camp, No. 1227, meets the second Monday of the month at Rieman's hall. The Trenton Turnverein have a substantial modern brick building in which the society meets for exercise and entertainments.
A fine grist mill, owned by Mr. Joseph Hanke is located near the railroad station, also extensive tile works near the old coal mines formerly operated by Mr. Hanke are not at present in active operation. There are many other industries which are mentioned elsewhere in connection with the parties owning and managing them.
The streets of the city are broad and run at right angles, well paved and shaded with stately trees on either side. Many fine residences are seen on every hand, and an air of comfort and content prevails everywhere, suggestive evidence of a happy and prosperous people.
Trenton was chartered as a village February 16, 1865, and incorporated as a city September 20, 1887. Its political divisions comprise three wards, from each of which two aldermen are elected. The municipal officers comprise the Mayor, city clerk, city attorney, treasurer, police magistrate, city marshall and superintendent of streets, all elective officers.
TRENTON ELEVATOR CO., North-west B. & O. Railroad Depot. - There is no industry of more importance to the grain producing regions and the milling interests than that of the grain elevator. The Trenton Elevator was formerly owned by Mr. Park McDonald, and was purchased by Messrs. Z. T. Remick and J. C. Eisenmayer, November 1889. These latter materially improved the elevator which has a capacity of 10000 bushels of grain daily. They are also dealers in all kinds of grain, flour, feed, etc. The practical ability of the gentlemen of this house is a sufficient guarantee to invite the attention of millers and grain dealers who desire to transact business with them through correspondence or in person. Mr. Z. T. Remick was born and raised in the vicinity of Trenton and is closely identified with the farmers. He is a police magistrate and active member of the School Board. His commercial and social standing are of the highest order both at home and abroad. Mr. J. C. Eisenmayer has been a resident of Trenton twenty-five years. He hails from Mascoutah, a son of Mr. A. J. Eisenmayer the noted miller of this section, now retired from active business. He is the managing proprietor of the Trenton Bank.
L. M. KOENTZ, Manufacturer of and Dealer in Stoves and Tin, Copper and Sheet-Iron Ware. Among those who have established a wide reputation for skill and ability in the management of their business, special mention is due to Mr. Koentz who inaugurated his enterprise in 1884. He is a native of Belleville Ill., but has been a resident of Trenton since 1859. By trade he is a copper and tin smith and makes a leading specialty of guttering, spouting and roofing. He also carries a large stock of hardware, tinware, stoves and household necessities in queensware, crockery, lamps, etc. Mr Koentz is connected with the firm of Koentz & Schaeffer, dealers in pumps and pump supplies. The premises occupied comprise two buildings having a frontage of fifty feet on Broadway and supplied with a complete equipment. Competent help is employed, Mr. Koentz giving his personal attention to all work turned out. Mr. Koentz has been president of the Turnverein six years and he is a member of the Illinois Fireman’s Association. He is the Venerable Council, Modern Woodmen of America and the O. U. T. B. In the latter organization has held office, five years. He is an active member of the Board of Education and has been chief of the local Fire Department eight years and its secretary six years. These executive positions fully attest Mr. Koentz' ability and usefulness in public life as well as his eminent fitness in the conduct of business affairs.
RIEMANN, KUHN & CO., Lumber Merchants, Contractors and Builders, North of B. O. & S. W. Railroad Station. The substantial growth of the city of Trenton within the past decade has developed the lumber industry in a marked degree. In this connection we make reference to the reliable firm of Riemann, Kuhn and Co., who established business here in 1889. Their yards and sheds cover an area 140x200 feet the whole completely equipped and amply stocked with lumber, dressed and in the rough, also manufactured lumber of every description for building purposes in hard and soft woods. They are also contractors and builders, make plans and specifications and estimate on building. They carry from $4000 to $5000 worth of stock constantly and possess superior facilities for the execution of work. Mr. L. C. Riemann the senior of the firm was born and raised in Trenton and was trained under his father's guidance in the building industry. He is president of the School Board and assistant chief of the Volunteer Fire Department of Trenton. His associate, Mr. Jacob Kuhn Jr. is also a native of this city. This firm was awarded the contract for M. Ginzel's residence, John Benton's residence and others of like importance. This firm is held in high favor in this section of the state and their success is due to care and skill in the conduct of their business and moderate charges, supplemented by honorable methods in their relations with patrons.
BROADWAY STORE, F. Leonhard Proprietor. Dealer in Dry-good, Groceries, Hats, Caps, Boots, Shoes, Hardware and Guns. Corner of Broadway and Apple Street. - Prominent among the leading concerns in Trenton is the well known house of Mr. F. Leonhard. This house was originally founded by Peter Emig some thirty years ago but came into the possession or Mr. Leonhard ten years later and has been since conducted by him with that degree of care and business probity that bespeaks the successful and experienced merchant. The premises consist of a substantial two story brick building having a double frontage of fifty feet on Broadway and ninety feet on Apple street with separate entrances on each street. Mr. Leonhard employs five intelligent assistants giving his personal attention to all important details, so as to insure the highest satisfaction to his patrons. Mr. Leonhard has been a resident of the city forty years, coming here from his native place, Highland Ill., at the age of eleven years. He formerly ran a hotel and wine room, and for a period of two years was engaged in farming. He has been a member of the School Board and also served in the Town Board. He is a public spirited citizen and is exceedingly popular in the Community. He is the owner of three fine farms containing 430 acres in the vicinity of Trenton to which he devotes much of his time and attention.
BROCKHAN & GREER, Clothing, Hats, Caps, Boots, Shoes, Rubber Goods and Gents' Furnishing Goods, Cor. Main and Broadway. - This enterprising house was established seven years ago by Mr. A. A. Brockhan who conducted it as a boot and shoe store until about one year ago he added to the business, clothing, hats and caps, rubber goods and gents' furnishings, and at the same time Mr. J. W. Greer was admitted to co-partnership. The lines of goods carried are purchased from first hands and comprise the best selections in all lines and for everybody. Mr. Brockhan is a practically experienced boot and shoe manufacturer who acquired his knowledge of the industry in Europe. He is a German by birth and education and is very thorough and reliable in his line. He landed on these shores in 1875. After spending some time in St. Louis, he undertook the occupation of farming. Then spent five years in Lebanon, Ill., before coming to this city. He is an alderman and president of the Trenton Volunteer Fire Department. Also a director of the Trenton Building and Loan Association, a very flourishing local enterprise. Mr. Greer was born and raised in Trenton and was formerly connected with the firm of Brooks Bros., St. Louis, where he remained one year and was subsequently employed by Schnyder & Hartley two years. The firm own the premises occupied for business and residence purposes. It is a substantial two story brick 50x85 feet in area located in the business center of the city on Main street and Broadway. This is one of the most progressive and reliable firms doing business in Trenton and their success is well deserved.
M. GINZEL, Dealer in General Merchandise. There is no finer example of close application and upright business methods than that achieved by Mr. M. Ginzel whose business has increased one hundred fold since its establishment in 1870. The store is located on the N. W. corner Main street and Broadway. A warehouse annex is utilized for storage of reserve stock and flour. At the out set of his career he did business in a very modest way, but in 1880 he materially increased his facilities, particularly in the dry goods department when the Broadway wing was added to the main street building, the entire structure now forming a double frontage of 50 feet on Main street and 75 feet on Broadway, combining a floor space of about 5,000 square feet. A perfect system prevails in the departments which are entirely separate from each other except through an open arch way. Employment is given to six assistants and a delivery wagon. The trade of this house extends to the surrounding farming districts and has steadily increased in volume from year to year. Mr. Ginzel is possessor of considerable property, farming lands, city residential and business. He has been city treasurer and is now a leading member of the School Board. He is a Mason and an Odd Fellow. An influential citizen and enterprising business man. This house is known by the designation of "The Star Store" and in name as well as in fact it is a star of the first magnitude.
TRENTON BANK, J. C. Eisenmayer & Co., Broadway West of Main Street. The well balanced and conservative management of her banks has been a most important factor in the prosperity and stability of Illinois. The Trenton Bank is an example in point. It was opened January 1st, 1890, by J. C. Eisenmayer. The bank utilizes every modern system which tends in any way to benefit financial operations. It receives upon favorable terms the accounts of corporations and individuals, and makes collections through perfectly organized system of correspondence and sells European Exchange. A capital of $15,000.00 is held in reserve for the protection of depositors, with a surplus of $5,000.00. Mr. J. C. Eisenmayer is a native of Mascoutah. He came to Trenton with his parents at the age of fifteen and has remained here ever since with the
exception of the years attending school at Mascoutah and the McKendree College. After being graduated from the latter institution 1871, he returned home and engaged with his father in milling until 1886, when their mill was destroyed by fire. He then turned his attention to buying and selling grain four years with great success. Mr. Eisenmayer owns 300 acres of farming land in the vicinity of Trenton and in Madison County which he rents, and from which a handsome income is derived. His natural adaptability to business and unquestioned ability in commercial affairs eminently fit him in the successful conduct of any legitimate field of industrial or commercial enterprise. Mr. Eisenmayer is at present township treasurer, and is an ex-alderman and an ex-Mayor of Trenton.
LOUIS BLATTNER, Watchmaker and Jeweler. - This enterprise had its inception in 1881, under favorable auspices, as the town at that time did not contain an industry of this class. Mr. Blattner's practical experience supplemented by commendable business foresight induced him to embark in this enterprise, which has proved a decided success. Prior to engaging in the business, Mr. Blattner had been trained from early youth in this important art industry under his father's guidance. The latter being a watchmaker of Highland Ill., where the son was born and raised. Mr. Louis Blattner arriving at an age when discrimination decides the future of man's occupation in life, he engaged in mercantile pursuits for a period of about five years. This departure had the salutary effect of fitting him in the conduct of business on his own account. Mr. Blattner's store is a model of neatness and handsomely fitted with nickel and plate glass show cases. An exceedingly fine assortment is at all times kept on hand, embracing gold and silver watches of all the leading makes, diamonds and other precious stones, clocks and unique designs, jewelry of every description in novel styles. Eye glasses, spectacles and optical goods generally, while special care and attention is given to the repairing of watches, clocks, and jewelry and. satisfaction guaranteed. Notwithstanding Mr. Blattner's active business life he has found time to devote his attention to public affairs. He holds the comission of Notary Public and is deputy County Surveyor and has been Township Clerk for some years; a member of the Masonic order, Knights of Honor, Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen of America, orders in all of which he holds responsible positions, attesting his executive ability and popularity. He is essentially a self made man, a successful merchant and a public spirited citizen.
A. W. CARTER, M. D., Residence East Broadway. - The subject of our sketch, Dr. A. W. Carter, is a young physician of more than ordinary ability. He is a graduate of the Cincinnati Medical College. He received his preliminary education at the public schools of his native place Roseville Ohio, and subsequently took the scientific course of study at the Fultonham Academy, Ohio. He commenced the practice of medicine in his native state in 1892. The following year he came to Trenton to establish an office, and has since made a record for efficiency in the practice of the profession second to none in this section of the state. Dr. Carter has acquired an enviable
reputation as a skillful surgeon and has made the diagnosis and treatment of lung diseases a special study. He is affable in disposition and at once commands the respect and confidence of his patients. Dr. Carter received honorable mention from the college faculty, and the highest praise from Professor Louis W. Sauer, Ph. G., of the Cincinnati College of Medicine for a scientific dissertation on food adulterations submitted and read before the college faculty. His high educational attainments and original conceptions in the science of medicine bespeak for him an eminently successful future.
WILLIAM SCHAEFFER, Post Master. - The subject of our sketch, Mr. William Schaeffer, is a native of Basie, Switzerland, the oldest existing Republic in the modern world. He came to America in 1853; after spending some time in the east he went to Minnesota where he remained four years and came to Trenton in 1859. Since his arrival here he has been engaged in various enterprises, and is now connected with the Union hotel of this city. In public life he has also occupied positions of trust and is now town collector and post master of Trenton, appointed to the latter position June 1893 and succeeding Mr. Benjamin Louden. He has been Justice of the Peace and Sheriff of Clinton County, all of which public trusts he has discharged with great credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of the people. He is conscientious and painstaking in the discharge of his official duties. He is an active member of the Masonic order, the Odd Fellows, the Good Fellows and the United Workmen. He is also a leading exponent of athletics through his connection with the Trenton Turnverein. Mr. Schaeffer has always been closely identified with the progress of Trenton. His systematic conduct of the local post office has been the subject of favorable comment among the people ever since his incumbency. The ease with which he adopts himself to the discharge of public duty seems to be quite natural. During the war of the rebellion he served in the 22nd Illinois Volunteer Infantry as Regimental Band Leader, and was honorably discharged from the service.
SCHNYDER & HARTLEY, Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots and Shoes, Groceries, etc., Broadway. - It is gratifying to note among the younger circle of business men in Trenton, a tendency to improve in a marked degree upon the business methods in vogue ten years ago. As a consequence the purchaser does not have to depend entirely upon his own judgment, but can rely upon the experience and truthful representations of the merchant. In this connection we take pleasure in making mention of the enterprising firm Schnyder & Hartley who five years ago purchased the business from Mr. C. J. Steinmetz who had been in business for twenty years before. The premises occupied are eligibly located on the north side of Broadway in the business center of the city. In dimensions the store is 20x60 feet completely stocked with carefully selected lines of dry goods, notions, clothing, boots and shoes, furnishing goods, etc. A grocery department is also maintained. The gentlemen of the firm Chas. Schnyder and George L. Hartley are practically experienced merchants, familiar with the requirements and demands of the consumer. Mr. Schnyder is a native of Switzerland. He came to America in 1870 and has been clerk in some of the leading business houses of Trenton. He has been Township Clerk and is an active member of the C. K. of A. and the C. K. of I. Mr. Hartley was born and raised in the vicinity of Trenton, he has also been employed as clerk, and for a considerable time was connected with a department management in the house of Wm. Deering & Co. in St. Louis. He is now City Treasurer of Trenton, and an active member of the Western Commercial Travelers' Association. They are young men of worth and ability and very popular among all classes of the community.
JACOB GLEICH, Blacksmith and Dealer in Pumps, Planters, Etc. FRED THALGOTT, Wagon Maker, Cor. Main & Broadway. The blacksmith's is an occupation which had its origin with the discovery of the uses to which mankind devoted metal, and he has since ever played an important part in the economy of every day life. We note with pleasure a representative of that craft in Trenton that deserves more than passing notice, in the person of Mr. Jacob Gleich who established business here January 1st. 1883. Mr. Gleich is an expert smith, and whether it be the horse shoe, the wheel tyre or any device or design in which iron or steel is used, he is the man to execute the work. Mr. Gleich was born and raised on a farm in the vicinity of Trenton, in what is known as the “Cracker Neck” school district. He learnt his trade at St. Morgans, Madison County Ill., with Mr. Hanselman the village blacksmith. He owns the premises he occupies for business and residence. Adjoining Mr. Gleich's shop and working in co-operation with him in the wagon making establishment is Mr. Fred Thalgott who has been in the business here since 1867. Mr. Thalgott bears the reputation of being one of the best wagon makers in this part of the state. He is an Alsatian by birth, came to this country in 1860 and learned the trade in St. Louis. In repairing and repainting Mr. Thalgott is equally proficient and painstaking. He is a member of the order of Good Fellows. His neighbor Mr. Gleich, the blacksmith also deals in pumps, planters and some other special devices and implements used by farmers. Both gentlemen are popular with their patrons and public spirited citizens.
JOSEPH HANKE, General Merchandise, Broadway. - The City of Trenton, by reason of its location in the heart of rich agricultural and coal mining regions, has attracted many useful and necessary commercial enterprises. Mr. Joseph Hanke keeps a general store on Broadway in the basement of which are fine wine vaults, stocked from Mr. Hanke's vineyard, an enterprise in which he takes great pride in maintaining at a high standard, and to which he gives his personal attention. He is also the owner of a gristmill, poultry yard, incubating plant and the works. Another of his conceptions is a magnificent artificial lake five acres in area which is known as Prairie Lake and is designed both for pleasure and profit. Mr. Hanke's many public and private enterprises have obtained for him a wide reputation and lasting popularity. He was instrumental in the development of coal mining in the vicinity for a considerable period. Mr. Hanke was a member of the board of Trustees of the town and the postmaster during Lincoln’s administration from 1861 to 1865. In 1874 he was elected supervision of Sugar Creek Township and has held that position through re-election ever since. In recognition of his high executive ability he was made chairman of the financial committee, and has invariably been identified with the financial system of Clinton County, with results that were always eminently satisfactory to the public. He is at present Mayor of the city. He was born in Bohemia, and at the age of fourteen years he was apprenticed as a clerk and accumulated enough to engage in business on his own account. Possessed of the spirit of adventure, he set sail for America and after remaining in the east some time came to St. Louis in 1850 and shortly afterwards to Clinton County near the present site of Trenton in 1854. In September, 1877, he was married to Elisabeth Kuepferie and is the father of six children - five boys and one girl, the oldest being sixteen and the youngest five years old.
BOHRMANN & WOLF, Dealers in Hardware, Stoves & Tinware. Repairing and Roofing a Specialty, Main Street, Near Broadway South. - One of the progressive houses in Trenton is that of Messrs. Bohrmann and Wolf which was established four years ago by Mr. H. J. Bohrmann of Louisville, Ky. Mr. J. Wolf of Mascoutah, Ill., became a partner December 1893, Mr. Bohrmann learnt the trade of tin-smith in Louisville and for several years followed tinsmithing in Trenton prior to engaging in the business on his own account. He is an adept in the craft and is painstaking and reliable in the execution of work. Mr. Wolf is a miller by trade, a business man of wide experience. The house has built up an enviable reputation for energy and fair dealing. This fact coupled with careful management has secured for them a well deserved success, with the encouraging prospects of a wider field of usefulness. The premises occupied for business and residence are owned by Mr. Bohrman, consisting of a substantial two story brick building 40x90 feet in area; the first floor comprising store and shop. The latter is completely equipped for the work, and the members of the firm give their personal attention to every detail of the business so as to insure the highest satisfaction to their patrons.
FERDINAND KURZ, Manufacturer and Dealer in Carriages and Buggies, Main Street. - Since 1867 Mr. Kurz has plied his avocation of carriage maker here and in it he is recognized on all hands as an adept and practical mechanic, who through a rigid apprenticeship gained his knowledge of the trade in his native country of Germany. He came to America in 1852. After remaining in Chicago three years, he went to Vandalia III, where he stayed eight months, then went to St. Louis where he remained thirteen years at his trade, finally locating in Trenton and starting on his own account. His establishment is equipped with woodworking, blacksmithing, painting and finishing departments, carriage building being the specialty; repairing and repainting. Mr. Kurz owns the property occupied for business and residence, comprising an area 110x110 feet. He also handles vehicles of standard manufacture and agricultural implements. Mr. Kurz is an active member of the I. O. O. F. the K. of H. and the G. A. R.
THE TRENTON SUN. - Modern journalism has its conspicuous representative in Trenton in the person of Mr. Arthur Oehler, the editor and proprietor of the "Sun." The "Sun" is the combination of two newspapers, the Gazette, which appeared in 1881, and which changed hands in February, 1893. The Presbyterian and Herald had their inception in November 1892 and in April, 1893 they were absorbed by the Gazette. These in turn were purchased by Mr. Oehler in June of the same year and on July 1st was issued under the appropriate name of "Trenton Sun," thus casting its radiance upon the preceeding confusion and night-like conditions that had existed in Trenton. Mr. Oehler, since he has had control has brought order out of chaos through systematic methods in the conduct of his paper. A perfect system of classification, editorial points of special interest, suggestive paragraphing, reliable current local news items, original artistic and attractive advertising, and general entertaining and instructive information, are a few of the leading features of this young giant in journalism. He has a numerous retinue of exchanges and correspondents, in Clinton and adjoining counties, and the people of Trenton may be congratulated upon the possession of such a live newspaper in their midst. Mr. Oehler was born December 18th, 1854 at Highland, Ill., where he graduated from the public school. He was in a store for a while and after a course at college, began teaching in a country school, not far from
the Clinton county line. He next started in a subordinate position in the Highland school, where he remained five years, gradually working upwards. He was then offered a position at a considerable advance of salary in the Marine schools, where he remained six years, a part of the time as principal. He next was principal of the Trenton schools, where he remained four years, when he was called to a position in the Belleville schools, where fifty-six teachers are employed, by the present State Supt. Hy. Raab, and where he remained three years. He has therefore spent over nineteen years in country and different grades of town and city schools. He is a great reader and for years has carried out a course of systematic reading and independent study. He has one of the best equipped private libraries in the county. He can converse with almost equal fluency in the English, German and French languages. The school room becoming too confining, he decided to enter another occupation. About a year ago he purchased the several Trenton papers and consolidated them into THE SUN. He has regularly carried on an Educational Department in every issue of the same, and championed education whenever opportunity offered. From his ancestors he has imbibed that love of freedom so characteristic of the inhabitants of the mountain loving Swiss, while his prayer has ever been to be spared from bigotry and prejudice, in whatever form it may present itself. He belongs to the Evangelical Church, and in politics is a liberal Republican.
THEO. J. KASPER, City Clerk. - In a review of the commercial and industrial affairs of a community like Trenton, the rank and file of its people, as a rule furnish the men who control and direct municipal government. The subject of our sketch Mr. Theo. J. Kasper is from among that class. He was born in St. Louis and at the age of eighteen months came with his parents to Trenton when the place was scarcely more than a hamlet. Mr. Kasper has been a resident of this
city twenty years, was educated at the public schools and with a view to bettering its condition embarked in business on his own account. He conducts a model tonsorial parlor, and in conjunction therewith carries on a mercantile business. He has been city clerk six years. Mr. Kasper is agent for the New Crown Sewing Machine which has the latest improvements. Mr. Kasper is a public spirited citizen and progressive man.
WALTER S. LOUDEN. - A talented young lawyer of this city forms the immediate subject of this sketch. He was born in Looking-Glass Township, Clinton County, July 31, 1868, and is one of three children comprising the family of Benjamin and Chanty (Blake), Louden. His paternal grandfather, Robert Louden, was one of the prominent residents of this county, (Clinton); a warm advocate of the free school system he aided greatly in raising the standard of education in Clinton County. The father of our subject was born in Looking Glass Township and is still a resident of this County. An ardent republican in politics, he has long been one of the leaders of that party in this section, and for many years was Postmaster at Trenton. He owns and manages several large farms, besides being an extensive dealer in agricultural implements. Walter S. Louden lived in his native township until reaching his fifth year, when his parents removed to this city. Here he attended the public schools, and later entered Johnson's Commercial College at St Louis and then became a student in the McKendree Law School. This line of study was continued in the office of Judge H. H. Horner of Lebanon for one year. He then went to St. Louis and was graduated from the Law School of that city. Admitted to the Bar November 21, 1890, Mr. Louden has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession throughout Clinton and surrounding counties and has already established an enviable reputation. He is a very eloquent and convincing speaker, and possesses ability and argumentative powers rarely found in one so young. In 1892 he was nominated by the Republican party for State's Attorney in his county and notwithstanding Cleveland's majority of over eleven hundred, our subject was defeated by two hundred and seventy-five votes only. He now holds the position of Attorney for the City of Trenton. On September 12, 1893, Mr. Louden married Miss Mollie, daughter of Henry and Caroline (Abernatha) Manverse. His father-in-law, Mr. Henry Manverse, formerly editor of the Trenton "Gazette", is now engaged as special agent of the Prudential Insurance Co., of Newark, NJ.
TRENTON BREWERY. - One from out among the industrial establishments of this little city, which has been quietly, yet uninterruptedly pursuing its course for a period of over thirty years, is the Trenton Brewery, it was begun 1860 by Berthold and Kiesel. The younger partner, Henry Kiesel, was the leading spirit and he it was who in accordance with the best known process of that time, insisted upon the building of two of the three capacious, vaulted, underground cellars, which have all this while and are still doing such good service. Mr. Berthold's interest was bought by A. Stamm, who in turn sold to Mr. Matzenbach. In 1866 Kiesel and Matzenbach sold out to Bassler and Kutterer, who carried on the business for three years, when Mr. Paul Bassler became sole owner. Two artesian wells were sunk 250 feet, which furnish a copious flow of soft sweet water. About three years ago a new engine and the renowned Ring Refrigerator system was put in. A description of the principles of the process of this system, which would apply equally well to almost any other system of refrigerator is hereby appended.
THE COMPRESSION SYSTEM
The three stages of operation are as follows: I. Compression of the gas; II. Condensation of the gas, and a withdrawal of the heat caused by compression; III Expansion of the gas and absorption by it of the heat from the surrounding objects. About a year ago a large ice house, holding over one-thousand tons, was put up. The concern gives steady employment for about ten men. Paul Bassler is the business manager, Aug. Bassler is superintendent and Jacob Bassler is engineer and machinist. East of the plant is the residence of the proprietor and adjoining the same, a lovely, shaded park of about twenty acres, where picnics and entertainments are held during the summer. While no effort has been made to cover a large territory, "Basslers Best" ° finds a ready sale in the neighboring towns of Aviston, Damiansville, New Baden and at home.
FRED. FRICKER. Confectioner. - The business of the confectioner and caterer is one requiring peculiar tact, and intelligence more than the ordinary, to meet the requirements and taste of a fastidious community like that of Trenton. The most prominent representative of this business in Trenton is Mr. Fred. Fricker, who started some fifteen years ago on Broadway and subsequently removed to Main Street, but finally returned to Broadway. The premises are now midway between Main street and the Post Office, in all respects a desirable locality. Mr. Fricker's store and parlor are stocked with fine selections of tropical fruits and fresh confections in great variety, notions and toys, and fresh baked bread, as well as the dispensing of delicious ice cream, oysters and refreshing drinks during the proper seasons. Mr. Fricker is a Swiss but has been in America since childhood. He furnishes for weddings and parties and is prompt and reasonable in his charges. His good lady assists in the management and the house has become a very popular one.
JOSEPH GLANZNER. Furniture, Undertaking and Embalming, Cor. Main and Third Streets . - A review of the representative houses of Trenton would hardly be complete without mention of Joseph Glanzner. The enterprise was founded thirty years ago and through care in the management and the exercise of honorable business methods Mr. Glanzner has achieved well deserved success. He owns the premises occupied for business and residence comprising a two story brick building 50x42 feet in area. A cabinet maker's shop constitutes an annex, Mr. Glanzner being an expert in the craft of cabinet maker. He also undertakes funerals and carries in stock coffins, caskets and burial supplies. A beautiful hearse is also available. He does embalming after the most approved modern methods. He is a German by birth and came to America eleven years of age. He has been village treasurer seven years and two years city custodian of the treasury, the first who held this position. He is an active Mason and an Odd Fellow. A member of the K. of H. and the Turnverein.
H. E. MOLLMANN. Manufacturer and Dealer in Harness, Bridles, Collars, Whips, etc., Cor. Main and Third Streets. -- Trenton's commanding position in the heart of a rich agricultural and coal mining region has attracted to itself many important and useful industrial enterprises. In this connection it is with pleasure we make note of a comparatively recent accession to her industrial thrift in the person of Mr. H. E. Mollmann, who established here October 17th, 1893. This gentleman was born and raised at Mascoutah, Ill., where his father has been and still is carrying on the business of harness making. Our subject learned the trade in his father's shop and his training has been such as to warrant the statement that he is an expert practical harness maker in all its branches. Mr. Mollmann's trade is rapidly gaining in popularity for excellent work and reliability. He employs two workmen and gives his personal attention to every detail, allowing nothing to pass from his shop without a critical inspection. Mr. Mollmann is a young artisan, a married man and has an interesting family of boys and girls. He belongs to the Masonic order and the K. of H. He is popular in both business and social circles.
J. A. EICHER, Dealer in Groceries, Dry Goods, Notions, Sporting Goods, Glass and Queensware, etc. - Among the recent accessions to Trenton is Mr. J. A. Eicher who established business May 1st, 1894, at a time when the labor agitations were being inaugurated and which have since caused an unprecedented business depression. Mr. Eicher is from the neighboring town of Summerfield, where he was born and raised. For some years he clerked in the stores of his native place and came to Trenton in the fall of 1888 and for five years filled the position of clerk finally embarking in business on his own account as noted above. Mr. Eicher is a young man possessed of much energy and courage. The fact of his having commenced business when he did and has bravely continued to invite patronage under the most discouraging circumstances fully attests his ability to succeed. He carries groceries, dry goods, notions, sporting goods, glass and queensware, but makes a specialty of groceries. In the lines of canned goods, table delicacies, fruits and condiments his stock is very complete and his prices are such as to meet the sharpest competition. Mr. Eicher's store is large and commodious, scrupulously clean and the goods in each department conveniently displayed. He contemplates materially increasing his stock as the condition of business demands it.
J. H. MIENER, Merchant Tailor Main and 2nd Streets. - Among the arbiters of correct taste and leading styles in men's wearing apparel, Mr. J. H Miener the well known merchant tailor, unquestionably ranks among the foremost. He has had a long practical experience in the business and embarked on his own account thirteen years ago. Mr. Miener is a German by birth, came to America in 1866 and has been a resident of Trenton twenty-six years. He employs three assistants now but during the active seasons has engaged as many as six or seven journeymen. His premises on the corner of Main and Second Streets are his own property and consist of a modern two story brick building situated on a lot 110x118 feet in area. The store is complete in all its appointments and a fine display is made of elegant woolens, suitings and trouserings in the newest designs. Nothing but a perfect fit and nobby style goes out of his establishment. Mr. Miener is a member of the I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W., is a public spirited citizen and a correct business man.
MRS. C. A. MITCHELL, Fashionable Milliner and Dress Maker, Dealer 1n Notions and Human Hair, Main Street. - This lady inaugurated her business here twenty-two years ago and has conducted it with commendable energy and success ever since. About one year ago Mr. Wm. Pierce introduced for her some special lines which have now become a fixed accessory of the business. These comprise fancy groceries, confections, oysters and ice cream in their seasons, fresh bread, coal oil, gasoline, etc. Mrs. Mitchell is now the sole proprietor of the business. She owns the property occupied for business and residence. She is from Waverly, Morgan Co., Ill. She learned her art in Jacksonville, Ill, and for a period carried on the business at Alton, Ill. She is an adept milliner and dress maker. Her success and popularity is due to this fact coupled with her disposition to give value received and polite relations with customers. She has a host of friends among all classes of the community.
JACOB KUHN, Dealer in Furniture, Picture Frames and Mirrors, Undertaking, Coffins, Caskets, etc., Broadway, East of Main Street. - Among the pioneer residents of Trenton we note the name of Mr. Jacob Kuhn, who came here in 1858, and for a number of years followed his trade, that of a cabinet maker and builder. He established his present business about twelve years ago, building for himself the store he occupies, which consists of a neat two story frame 30x50 feet in area. Mr. Kuhn is a native of Wurtemburg, Germany. He came to America in 1853 and prior to locating here was a resident of Collinsville and Troy, Ill. He is a member of the Treu-Bund and is an active and progressive citizen. Mr. Kuhn has several sons who have arrived at manhood's estate, one of whom is in the lumber and building business in this city under the firm name of Riemann-Kuhn &Co. Helms another son, Henry Kuhn, in St. Louis engaged in stair building in Huttig's factory. The other sons are at home and assist their father in his business.
C. F. W. BARTLING, Livery and Feed Stables Near R. R. Station. - A well conducted livery and boarding stable is a great convenience to any community and in noting that of Mr. C. F. W. Bartling we submit one which in all its characteristics presents the best results of intelligent effort in this direction. The stand is an old one, the location is central and the building is spacious, having a frontage of fifty feet by a depth of seventy-five feet completely equipped for the comfort and safety of horses. The stable will accommodate thirty head of horses, besides carriages and stalls. The boarding department is a special feature. For livery purposes Mr. Bartling has a number of stylish out-fits comprising coaches, carriages, buggies, surreys, phaetons and fine driving horses. Carriages are furnished for funerals and for weddings, parties, balls and driving at reasonable rates. Mr. Bartling has been a resident of Trenton two years. He is from Decatur Ill., and was formerly engaged in the walnut timber business traveling through many states. His present business occupation is more congenial to his disposition and his fitness in the care and training of horses is acquired through a natural liking for the equine species. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and in politics inclines to the Peoples Party.
MRS. EMMA ILBERY, Photographer, Main Street. - Here in this little city of Trenton we find a talented representative of the photographic art. Portrait photography is the specialty of Mrs. Ilbery's studio and in this she is not excelled. Mrs. Ilbery succeeded her husband in the business. He died two years ago and about one year after the establishment of the enterprise here with branches at Breese and St. Louis, the latter being discontinued on his demise. During Mr. Ilbery's lifetime his wife was in reality the art genius of the business. She is a pupil of the famous Cramer Studio of St. Louis and through a long training, Mrs. Ilbery has mastered the photographic art. She is assisted by her daughter Miss Lucy Ilbery who also displays fine artistic taste. Mrs. Ilbery is a native of St. Louis where she was raised and educated. Her gallery is located on Main Street North of Broadway.
W. T. CARR, Druggist and Bookseller. - From the very earliest ages, the art of preparing compounds that arrest and remove pain, and heal the sick, has been regarded as among the highest of human functions. W. T. Carr, a graduate of the St, Louis College of Pharmacy purchased this business August 1884 and on the 1st of October following opened up with a very complete stock. The premises are located on Main street North of Broadway. They are handsomely furnished with plate-glass show-windows, elegant fixtures etc. The stock embraces pure drugs and medicines, chemicals and proprietary remedies, toilet articles, perfumery, sick room requisites, supplemented by a fine line of stationery, school books, paints, oils and painter's supplies. A sideline is also carried in standard makes of bicycles and sewing machines. One trusty assistant, Mr. A. E. Stout, is employed. Mr. Carr was born and raised in Trenton, receiving his preliminary education at the public school and subsequently attending two courses at McKendree College. He owns the store and a comfortable home and has been eminently successful in his business career. He is young and progressive and his future is full of promise.
TRENTON HOUSE, John White,
Proprietor. – It will be two years in
November since Mr. White came in control of this old landmark, and
since his incumbency a thorough renovation has taken place, so that it
may be truthfully stated that it is the most comfortable hotel in
Trenton controling a very large patronage. The building is two and one
half story, equipped with every convenience. The table is all that
could be desired and is presided over by the lady of the house assisted
by her interesting young daughter. Ten clean guest rooms, an elegant
parlor, office, reading room and bar constitute a few leading features
of this popular house. The location is in close proximity to the
railroad station, the surroundings include a profusion of fine shade
trees. Mr. John White the genial host was born and raised on the
Gravois road in St. Louis and for a number of years followed coal
mining in the vicinity of this City. He is a member of the School Board
and held the position of alderman of Trenton. He is an active member of
the I. O. O. F.