Read by Phyllis Hanke, Gloria Dettleff, and Dorothy Falk on 5 Nov 2008
This cemetery could have been known by another name in the years it was active in the mid-1800's, such as another Maddux Cemetery, since that was the earliest burial we found. We didn't find any Knolhoffs buried here, perhaps he was a later land owner.
The history of the cemetery is published in the Clinton County Historical Society Quarterly # 19-4.
To get to this cemetery, go south one mile on the Hoffman-Hoyleton Road from IL-161. On the left hand side (east) of the road, there are wooden posts between two farm fields marking the "entryway" to the cemetery right-of-way path. The wire across the top used to hold a sign with the cemetery's name. The cemetery is about a block ahead, in the trees to the left of the right-of-way. The road is bumpy and could have a little run-off water in wet weather.
The tombstones are dotted throughout about an acre of land, and most have been reasonably protected from the elements by the trees. There could be other stones buried beneath the 140 years of leaves and erosion.