Ferrin is one of the smaller towns of the county. It is located on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad seven miles east of Carlyle, the county seat.
It is a thriving little trading point and has four business buildings within its borders.
They are: One general store, one elevator and creamery, one blacksmith and implement house and one saloon.
The population of Ferrin is approximately 70 inhabitants; it is unincorporated and has no railroad station as yet, but plans are under way to erect one, as the point is fast becoming a shipping station on the B. & O.
The leading business men are:
Mr. HUGO conducts the only general store in the little village, and has been in business for the past two years. He bought out the stock of L. C. HANSEN and added a large amount of merchandise to the stock after the transaction. Today he carries a stock of merchandise valued between $12,000 and $15,000. He carries everything in the general line and does a livery business in connection. He was born in Washington county in 1882, but was practically raised in and around Ferrin. He is a son of Henry and Carolina HUGO, who have lived in Clinton county for the past thirty years. They are natives of
Germany and Henry is one of eight children. Mr. HUGO was married in 1905 to Anne REINKENSMEYER of Clinton county, and they have three children to bless their union. Mr. HUGO has a brother conducting a general store at Hoffman, several miles south of Ferrin.
H. W. WEDEKEMPER
Four years ago, the above named bought out the implement and blacksmith business of H. F. KASTEN. Today the business is one of the largest of its kind in Clinton county, and why? Because the owner is a hustler and one of the most progressive men in the county, and as it takes progressive men to make a county Mr. WEDEKEMPER
will make Ferrin. He conducts the only place of business of its kind in the city and sells implements of all kinds, does general blacksmithing, woodworking, horseshoeing, sells gasoline engines, pumps, tanks, cream separators, and all kinds of supplies. He has been a resident
of Ferrin for the past four years, but was born near the city in 1879 and is a son of William and Minnie WEDEKEMPER. His parents have lived in the county 36 years, having come from Germany and settling in St. Louis before locating in Clinton county. He was married in 1907 to Miss Emma KOCH and they have one child, a girl, three years old. His place of business is located conveniently and he has been doing an excellent business during the past four years. That he will succeed is evident by the amount of business he did last year. He increased his sales double over the year before.
For the United States as a whole the area of corn harvested increased from 94,914,000 acres in 1899 to 98,383,000 in 1909, or 3.7 per cent, but the production decreased from 2,666,000,000 bushels to 2,552,000,000 bushels or 4.3 per cent.
The total amount reported as spent for fertilizers by the farmers of the United States in 1909 was $114,883,000, an increase of 115 per cent as compared with the expenditures in 1899.
The estimated value of the total wheat crop in 1909 was $658,0000,000, an advance of $288,000,000, or 77.8 per cent over the value in 1899, which was $370,000,000.
The area harvested for wheat, in 1909, was 44,263,000 acres, as compared with 52,549,000 acres in 1899, a decrease of 15.8 per cent.
The production of wheat, in 1909 was 683,000,000 bushels, or 3.8 per cent greater than in 1899 when it was 659,000,100 bushels.
The leading state in the acreage of oats in 1909 was Iowa, with 4,655,000 acres, closely followed by Illinois with 4,176,000.
This file last modified