AVISTON BUSINESS CHRONICLE
Probably the first successful business venture in the area of Aviston was begun in 1857. The firm of John W. Dagger and Company established a mercantile business in what is now Aviston. This building was built on lot 7, block 15 of the original town of Hull (on the corner east of the Frank Voss Tavern). Partners in this business venture were John W. Dagger, Alfred Guyot, and James J. McAlilly. Mr. McAlilly was in charge of the Aviston store from 1857 to 1869. During this twelve year period he also served as postmaster for the village of Aviston. In 1869 the partnership of the company was dissolved by mutual agreement by all concerned. Mr. McAlilly remained in Aviston, where he was active in business circles and in investments in real estate. Mr. McAlilly died in April 1897. At that time he owned approximately 1500 acres of land.
Another of the early businessmen in Aviston was George Henry Dillmann, a native of Luesche, Oldenburg, Germany. In 1864, Mr. Dillmann moved from Breese to Aviston. He established a lumber yard and continued in the building business which he had started previously in Breese. Mr. Dillmann continued the lumber business until his death in 1903. At that time his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Dillmann and his son, Mr. George Dillmann, took control of the family business. Upon the death of his mother, Mr. George Dillmann assumed full control of the business. Mr. George Dillmann operated the business until 1944. He died in 1945. The lumber yard was closed until it was sold in 1947.
In April of 1947, J. B. Heimann and Paul Netemeyer bought the Dillmann Lumber yard, which had been closed since 1945. The new company was named Aviston Lumber and Material Company. The office building and lumber shed, to the south, were then built. The partners also did general contracting along with the lumber business.
Mr. J. B. Heimann sold his interest in the business on February 1, 1959, to Paul W. Netemeyer and Elmer G. Netemeyer. The Netemeyer brothers also started the Aviston Manufacturing Company in 1959. At the present time general farm buildings, poultry and hog buildings, machine sheds, and trusses are manufactured.
Sometime between 1864 to 1867, Mr. Henry Dillmann was in charge of the building of the original church in Aviston. The records vary in the dates. The most probable dates are 1864 to 1865. Church records begin in the fall of 1865. Mass in the new St. Francis of Assisi Church was first offered on October 4, 1865.
The original church was 82 by 54 feet. It was constructed from bricks manufactured by Mr. Henry Daniel and sons, John and Frank. This brickyard was located on what is now the Dick Frohn farm immediately south of Aviston. In the church there was a seating capacity of 420. The cost of the church was $11,741.00. In 1866, $500.00 was spent for a new high altar, and $1,600 was used for a pipe organ.
St. Francis of Assisi Church Cemetery was purchased in 1864 from Samuel Hull. The price was $210 for a square tract of land consisting of five acres. Prior to the establishment of this Catholic cemetery, Catholics in the area were generally buried in the cemetery at Germantown, Illinois.
The first pastor to be assigned to St. Francis Church was Reverend Henry Boeker, who arrived in Aviston on October 2, 1865.
The first rectory in Aviston was built in 1866 by Reverend H. Boeker on lot 9 block 28 in the original town of Hull. It had eight rooms and cost $2,571. In 1884 the Reverend F. Lohmann enlarged the house by adding two rooms and a kitchen.
OLD PUBLIC SCHOOL
The first school in Aviston was erected in 1867 by the Reverend H. Boeker. It was a one story brick building. In 1874 it was enlarged. In 1878 the school was taken down and a new two story brick building was erected. This building is 54 by 52 feet and was designed to accommodate 210 children. The cost of construction was $3,500. This building is still standing and is at present the home of the Don Bosco Latin Grammar School for boys. This school was started in 1962.
The Sacred Heart Hospital was finished by Reverend F. Lohmann in 1882. It was a two story frame structure and cost $6,524. The Sisters of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ were given charge over the 22 bed hospital. In 1930 a new brick addition was added. Eventually the old part of the building was condemned by the State. The hospital was closed in 1962 and the old section was torn down. The new section was turned into a convent for the Sisters of Notre Dame who teach in the grade school.
Between 1886 and 1887 St. Francis Church was remodeled and enlarged under the capable leadership of the Reverend Frederich Lohmann. This enlarged structure is the present Church of St. Francis of Assisi. All that seems to remain of the original church is the east end of the church, over and behind the main altar.
The new St. Francis of Assisi Church is 142 by 58 feet. The bell tower was 186 feet high. The seating capacity of the church was approximately 820. The cost of the church construction was $42,000. The statue of St. Francis of Assisi above the main entrance of the church is seven feet tall, it is made of Indiana limestone, and cost the parish $150. The parish further spent $7,000; with this amount they received a steam heating plant, a tower clock, new seats, seven statues, a pulpit, stations of the cross, and five new altars.
In February 1956, high winds swept through Aviston. The bell-tower on the church was damaged. During the next two years the upper part of the steeple was taken down and rebuilt. It is now considerably shorter than the original tower.
The Aviston Flour Mill was begun in 1867 and completed in 1868. The original owners of the business were Mr. J. B. Heimann, Mr. B. H. Heimann, and Mr. Albert Haar. The milling business was unsound at this time because all the products were sold through a commission house. For this reason the owners soon sold out to Mr. Henry Dillmann and Mr. Henry Dulle.
Mr. Henry Lipsmeier and Mr. John Wellen started a general merchandise store in 1865 on lot 5 block 29 of the original town of Hull. Mr. Lipsmeier also operated a tavern immediately across the street on the northern most lot of block G of the Twiss Addtiion. When Mr. Lipsmeier died in 1895, his sons, Joe and Herman, took over the business as partners. In 1900 the store was sold to Mr. B. J. Lager. Mr. Joe Lipsmeier continued to run the tavern until his death in 1909. Mr. B. J. Lager enlarged the store in 1910, this new addition is the longer east wing of the present store. Mr. Lager continued to run the business until his death in 1948. The store is now owned by the B. J. Lager heirs.
Mr Theodore Peek became a partner of Mr. Henry Dillmann in the lumber buiness and the milling business. In 1870 Mr. Dillmann sold his interest in the mill to Mr. Henry Robben. Dulle and Robben operated the mill until 1879. The business was then sold to the Mauntel and Boges Company.
Under the leadership of Mr. Mauntel the mill prospered and flourished. It was enlarged to two stories. Modern machinery was added. In 1881 a new elevator was added. Business was running smoothly until a Mr. Diekmann was brought into the company as secretary. Sometime later Mr. Diekmann left for Canada and the company was declared bankrupt.
Eventually the mill property was sold at public auction in August, 1893, to Mr. August Schlafly. A new company, Aviston Milling Company, was organized. Mr. August Schlafly was president, Mr. Fredolin Schlafly was vice-president, and Mr. Paul C. Guignon was the secretary-treasurer. Mr. Fredolin Schlafly became president sometime in 1914, or shortly before. Mr. Fredolin Schlafly remained at the head of the firm until the mill caught fire on the night of November 1, 1929. The ruins burned for about six weeks. It was a total loss and the plant was never rebuilt.
In the late 1860's Mr. Henry Dillmann built the hotel in Aviston. The hotel was sold by Mr. Dillmann to his partner, Mr. Theodore Peek. After this the hotel and tavern combined was owned and operated by many people. For several years after 1890, the hotel was owned by the Nicolaus Berns family. Prior to 1932, the hotel and tavern had many operators. In the 1920's the hotel and tavern was operated by Mr. Henry Schulte. After the late 1920's the hotel part of the business was discontinued. Mr. Gus Schulte purchased the building in 1932. Mr. Joseph Moss bought the building in November 1935. Mr. Moss operated the tavern until his death in August 1946. The business was then acquired by his son, Alvin, who operates it today.
Mr. John Ficker set up a shop and blacksmith shop in the 1860's. This building was located on what is now a vacant lot between the Imming Furniture Store and the residence of the Leo Welling family. This business was sold to Mr. John A. Lampe in 1907. Mr. Herman Lampe, a brother, was a partner and served as a blacksmith; Mr. Henry Lampe worked for his brother, as a carpenter. Mr. Henry Markus also worked here as a blacksmith until establishing his own shop in a building east of the residence of the Bill Wieter family.
LAMPE BROS. BLACKSMITH SHOP
The Lampe store, besides doing blacksmith work, sold hardware, paint, oil, glass, steam fittings, piping, tanks and farm machinery. The brothers also did plumbing, guttering, and contracting.
Mr. John Lampe designed the present St. Francis grade school and supervised its building in 1921. Later in 1937, the second floor of this building was made into rooms under the direction of Mr. Lampe. The grade school gym was also designed and built by Mr. Lampe in 1937. The parish at this time spent $20,000 on the grade school and gymnasium. Costs were kept down with the help of free labor from the men in the parish. Mr. John Lampe continued in the contracting business until his death in 1939.
G. Brefeld & Son Hardware Company traces its beginnings back to 1875. Mr. Gerhard Brefeld, a native of Epe, Westphalia, Germany, immigrated to this country and apprenticed himself to his uncle, George Sudfelt, a blacksmith. In 1875 Mr. Brefeld moved to Aviston and opened a blacksmith shop, which included a few hardware items. The first hardware shop was built in 1889, it was 14 by 28 feet. Between 1890 and 1908 three additions were added to the original shop.
In 1908 a partnership was formed between Gerhard Brefeld and Fred G. Brefeld, his son. In 1912 Fred G. Brefeld received his embalmers license, adding another phase to the business. In 1912 the business was incorporated, with Gerhard Brefeld, Fred G. Brefeld, and Otto G. Brefeld forming the corporation. Mr. Otto Brefeld was a registered watchmaker and optometrist and it was decided, in 1916, to build another addition on the southwest corner for his trade and also for the millinery store which was operated by Mrs. Anna Brefeld and daughter.
On October 12, 1921, Gerhard Brefeld died suddenly and the business was continued by Fred and Otto Breheld until 1923; at that time Fred G. Brefeld purchased the entire stock of merchandise. Under the sole ownership of Mr. Fred G. Brefeld, further expansion was made. A variety store arrangement and a men's and ladies ready-to-wear department were added. The ready to wear was discontinued after the death of Mrs. Fred G. Brefeld in 1939.
In 1941, Mr. Fred G. Brefeld opened a funeral parlor with an embalming room, casket display, and parlors for viewing before burial. The usual wakes in the homes were gradually discontinued, but, it took about four years to get all the people accustomed to this procedure.
In 1946, Mr. Fred G. Brefeld, formerly under contract with the Skelgas Company, decided to open his own bottle gas business. A bottling plant was set up at Railroad and Clements Streets. The business grew to such an extent that a second storage plant was needed. This was built in 1955 in the southeast part of Aviston. Also in 1955, the first bulk gas truck was purchased for delivering gas in bulk to businesses and homes that had a storage tank.
In 1960 the store was again remodeled. This time the entire store was made a self-service super-market. The southwest part of the building, which formerly housed the State Bank of Aviston, was remodeled for the drapery and interior decorating department, under the supervision of Mrs. Dorothea Brefeld Lengerman. At the present time the Brefeld businesses are still owned by Mr. Fred G. Brefeld, who is in semi-retirement. Mr. Brefeld's daughter, Mrs. Dorothea Lengerman, and his son-in-law, Mr. Paul Lengerman, manage the various businesses.
The building which is now known as Frankie's Tavern, goes back to a plot of land bought by Mr. and Mrs. Conrad Feldmann in 1874 from Mr. and Mrs. John Dugger and Mr. James J. McAlilly. This property remained in the hands of descendants of Mr. and Mrs. Feldmann until 1955 when it was finally sold.
Sometime in the 1880's the house and tavern was built by Mr. Herman Scheveling. By 1905, the property had been passed on to Anna Koch. There were many operators of the tavern while Mrs. Koch had control. In 1939 the property passed into the hands of Marcella Scheveling. Again, there were several operators. Finally, in 1955, the building was sold to Mr. Frank Voss. Mr. and Mrs. Voss operate the business today.
The origin of Holtkamp's Feed Mill goes back to Mr. Ben Holtkamp, a native of Germany. As a young man he started in the threshing business. In 1893, Mr. Holtkamp and Mr. John Schulte started a saw mill on the southwest part of Aviston. In 1907 this partnership was broken up. Mr. Schulte conducted the threshing business, and Mr. Holtkamp operated the saw mill. Mr. Holtkamp operated a grist mill, a cider mill, and processed molasses. He also kept 50 hives of bees. At one time he processed 2500 pounds of honey annually.
Mr. Ben Holtkamp operated his business until it was sold to his son, Mr. John Holtkamp, in 1927. Mr. Ben Holtkamp died in January of 1936. Mr. John Holtkamp continued to run the business, and added about 1,000 chickens in a poultry farm. After 1939, however, the business was strictly a feed mill.
Mr. John Holtkmap sold his business to his son, Robert Holtkamp, in 1947. Mr. John Holtkamp passed away in November of 1963. Under the ownership of Mr. Robert Holtkamp, the feed mill has been considerably enlarged. He is the present owner and operator.
After 1907, when the partnership of Mr. Ben Holtkamp and Mr. John Schulte was dissolved, Mr. Schulte continued in the threshing business. He owned and operated the threshing machine until his death in 1945. Previous to his death, he had been helped by his son, Joseph Schulte. After this, the Schulte family sold the threshing machine.
Sometime before 1898 Mr. Ben Holthaus operated a shoe repair business in a building where the present Aviston State Bank is located. Mr. Holthaus sold his business in 1938 to Mr. Henry Kuper. Mr. Kuper moved the business across the street to a building owned by Tony Kuhl in 1952. Mr. Kuper has operated the shoe and harness repair business in the Kuhl building to the present time. Mr. Kuper is a life long resident of Aviston. He is very alert and active, despite the fact that he was 80 years old on February 14, 1964.
Also prior to 1898, a barber shop was operated by Mr. John Strubhart in a building owned by Mr. Henry Kuhl. This is the building where the Kuper Shoe Repair Service is located at the present time. The shop was sold to Mr. Walter Wolf in 1900, and to Mr. Julius Kuhner in 1906. In 1908 Mr. Bassie Strubhart bought the business. The business in turn was sold to Mr. William Hegger in 1913. Mr. Hegger operated the barber shop, in the Kuhl building, until 1941; at that time Mr. Hegger bought the summer kitchen in back of the Scheveling residence across the street from his residence, moved the building to a lot by his home, and established his barber shop here. The barber shop was located here until 1958, Mr. Hegger built a new home and shop combined on the same lot. The old barber shop was then moved to the rear of the lot and remodeled into a garage. Mr. Hegger is still active in the barber business at the age of 75.
Mr. Nicolaus Berns, a native of Werde, Hanover, Germany, opened the Aviston Soda Bottling Plant in Aviston in 1903. This plant stood on the lot now occupied by the Edgar Koerkenmeier family home. Mr. Berns manufactured such soft drinks as whistle, cherry blossom, and sarsafrilla. He continued to run this business until his death on July 4, 1922. Mr. Berns' son, Mr. Anton Berns carried on his family business. In 1925, Anton Berns sold the factory to Mr. William Albers. Mr. Albers operated the business until 1928. At that time, it was sold to Mr. John Bruns, who operated the factory until it was closed in 1944.
The development of the bank in Aviston goes back to 1906. In January 29, 1906, Mr. Gerhard Brefeld of Aviston and Mr. L. W. Thompson of St. Louis, Missouri, organized a private bank in Aviston. This bank was housed in the southwest part of what is at present the Brefeld Hardware Store; the drapery department is now located here. Mr. Gerhard Brefeld was president, Mr. B. J. Lager was vice-president, and Mr. Fred Hempen was cashier.
In 1921, the bank was incorporated under the laws of Illinois and became the State Bank of Aviston. Also in 1921, Mr. Gerhard Brefeld died. Mr. B. J. Lager was elected president, Mr. Fred G. Brefeld was the new vice-president, and Mr. Hempen remained the cashier. Mr. H. B. Brefeld, Mr. H. H. Imming, Mr. Martin Holtgrave, and Mr. Hubert Schlafly were directors.
Mr. Hempen, the cashier of the bank, resigned on April 1, 1934. Mr. Fred Lager was appointed to succeed him. Two years later Mr. John Lager was appointed cashier when his brother Fred resigned. Mr. Fred G. Brefeld was elected president of the bank in 1947, upon the retirement of Mr. B. J. Lager who later passed away, May 4, 1948. Mr. John Lager was appointed vice-president and cashier in 1947. Mr. Paul Lengerman and Mr. H. H. Imming were directors.
Mr. John Lager retired from the bank in 1959 as vice-president and cashier. Mr. Robert Reiss was appointed to the position of cashier in 1959. In July 1961, a new office was created and Mr. Fred Brefeld became chairman of the board. Mrs. Dorothea Brefeld Lengerman assumed the presidency of the bank. Mr. Paul Lengerman was made vice-president.
The Aviston Condensed Milk Company was built and put into operation in 1907. It was located west of Aviston and south of the railroad tracks. The officers of the company were George Dillmann, president; Martin Holtgrave, secretary; and B. J. Lager, treasurer.
On March 4, 1911, a disastrous fire swept the building. Only the office and cold storage department was saved. The damage was estimated at $40,000.00, the plant carried $22,500.00 insurance. A second fire swept the rebuilt plant late in the evening of March 9, 1928. The destruction this time amounted to a total loss.
Mr. Henry Kuhl established a butcher shop in 1908. Mr. Kuhl continued to run the shop until his retirement in 1945. Upon the death of Mr. Henry Kuhl, in 1945, his son Anthony bought the Kuhl property consisting of a home, butcher shop, three small shops and a large barn in the rear.
In 1910 Mr. C. A. Stroot built a general merchandise and feed store on the south end of lot one in block 14 of the original town of Hull. Mr. Oscar Stroot took control of this business in 1945. In 1946, Mr. Ed Schulte purchased the business and later sold it to Oscar and Dick Kues in 1948. This business is now known as the Kues Brothers Clover Farm Store. Dick Kues bought his brother's share in the store in 1956, and continues to operate the business as sole owner.
A general hauling business was started by Mr. George Gerstner Jr., in 1924. Since that time this business has changed hands many times. It was bought by Al Hollenkamp in 1945, by Bob Holtkamp in 1947, by Al Strieker in 1948, and by Ray Foppe in 1953. In 1960. Mr. Tony Rakers bought the business and continues to operate it at the present time.
Aviston High School District was organized in 1923. In the fall of that year the first classes were held in the grade school building. The original district included Aviston, Albers, and Damiansville. The grade school districts of St. Rose, Germantown, and Bartelso petitioned and were added to the Aviston High School District in February 1948. The district includes 49 sections of land; in area it was the second largest district in the state. When the high school was first organized it was a three year school only. The first class to graduate from a four year school was in 1930.
In the summer of 1958, the school board of Aviston Community High School leased and remodeled the Huber Slipper Company building. Classes for Aviston Community High School began in the newly remodeled building in the Fall of 1958. The school is still in operation in this building at the present time. There are a total of 69 students and eight teachers at the present time.
The original lease gave the high school district the option to buy the building within five years. All rent monies were to apply to the selling price if the decision to buy was made. Eventually the school board decided to buy and the district finished paying for the school in the summer of 1963.
Prior to 1924, Mr. George Gerstner operated a milk route in the Aviston area. In 1924, Mr. Gerstner sold his route to his son, George Gerstner. Milk was hauled to the Aviston Condensery until the building was destroyed by fire. The Gerstner milk routes were eventually sold to Mr. Fredolin Mondt in 1935. Mr. Mondt passed away in 1955. About a year later Mrs. Fredolin Mondt sold part of the milk routes to Mr. Fred Wolters. Mr. Wolters continues to run these routes.
Mr. Oscar Lipsmeier established a sheet metal shop in the northern part of Aviston in 1927. Mr. Lipsmeier continued the shop until his retirement in 1961. On January 3, 1961, the shop was sold to Ernest and Tom Sudholt, who are the present owners.
Mr. Edgar Koerkenmeier started in the milk business in November of 1954. He took over milk routes from Ralph Ketterer of Trenton. These routes had been owned by Mr. Oscar Stroot from 1937 to 1949. Previous to 1937, these routes had been operated by Leo Sudholt. Edgar Koerkenmeier bought part of the bulk milk routes from the widow of Fredolin Mondt in January 1956. In February of 1956 the first bulk milk truck was purchased. In 1960 the can milk routes were sold. At the present time three drivers for bulk milk trucks are employed.
Also in 1954. Edgar Koerkenmeier began servicing other trucks and autos as well as his own. This part of his business grew until it became a full time operation in 1955. The garage business was operated jointly with the Texaco Service Station from 1959 to 1961. At that time the present garage was enlarged and the Koerkenmeier Garage was moved to its present location.
The Mueller Lawn Mower Service started in 1955 by Mr. Marcellus Mueller, on a part time basis. The shop is located in the garage of the Mueller home.
In January 1957, Mr. Ray Huber began full time operation of Huber Leather Novelties. This business had started as a part time sideline in 1951. Mr. Huber specializes in manufacturing advertising specialties.
In October 1957, Mr. Aloysius Rakers and his wife built the Rakers Farm Supply and Appliance Store on the Aviston-Albers road, west of the grade schooI playground. The firm also does electrical and refrigeration work. In 1961, an addition was added to house the Aviston Self-Service Laundry.
Mr. Oscar Stroot built the Texaco Filling Station in 1935, on the north side of Highway 50. In 1848 the motel and family apartments were built. The restaurant was built in 1950. Mr. Stroot sold the entire business plus the house built in 1937, to Lubi and Rose Ratkovich. The Ratkovich family operated the establishments until 1959. It was sold again to Mr. Vernon Orf, who operated the business. for one year. The present owners are Vernon and SteIla Gabioud.
A committee from the Aviston Community succeeded in persuading the John P. Huber Slipper Company of St. Louis, Missouri, to resettle in Aviston in 1936. The business had been founded in 1932. The committee consisted of Mr. B. J. Lager, Mr. George Dillmann, Mr. Henry Holthaus, and the Reverend George Lohmann. The building is Iocated south of the B. & O. Railroad and to the west of Aviston. The original part of the factory was paid for by funds from the people of the community. The committee spent $10,000.00 on machinery and other materials to help get the Huber Company started in Aviston. Title to the building was turned over to the Huber Company after a total of $200,000.00 had been paid in wages to the people working there. The company added an addition to the original building in 1948. The Huber family decided to cease operations and the plant was closed in January 1957.
In 1936, Mr. Barthol Imming, a farmer, began selling life insurance on a part-time basis. Five years later all lines of insurance were added. In 1949, Mr. Imming expanded his operations to a full time basis. An office was operated in his home and he also bought an additional agency in Carlyle, Illinois. Mr. Imming is currently operating both offices.
Mr. Theodore Woltering and his son, Edward, set up a blacksmith shop in December 1945. The building had been vacated by Mr. Henry Markus two years previously. Mr. Markus had had a blacksmith shop here for many years. The shop was located east of the Bill Wieter family residence. In 1948, another son was brought into the business, Herman, who was hired as an apprentice blacksmith. In September of 1954, Mr. Woltering died. Mr. Ed Woltering continued, with his brother's help, to run the business until June 1957. In June 1957, the building and all its contents were completely destroyed by fire.
Due to lack of funds, Mr. Woltering decided to discontinue the blacksmith trade in Aviston. Farmers and business people in the Aviston community realized what the loss of the sole remaining blacksmith would mean in a farm community. A cooperative was formed known as the Aviston Blacksmith Association. Money was made available to build and equip a new blacksmith shop. It was a long term loan and a reasonable rate of interest is charged. The new shop was constructed on the site where the Aviston Milling Company stood. It is made of concrete blocks and measures 44 by 56 feet. By September 1957, the new building was completed and equipment was then installed. The shop has such equipment and materials to make repairs both in the shop and on the farms. At the present time Mr. Woltering also sells farm equipment and truck hoists.
In April 1946, the Markus brothers, Louis, Robert and Andrew, started a business to manufacture built-in kitchen cabinets. The original place of operation was in a large building owned by Mr. Tony Kuhl; this building was later taken over by the Agriculture Department of Aviston High School. Louis Markus was president, Andrew Markus was vice-president, and Robert Markus was secretary-treasurer.
The Markus Cabinet Factory moved to its present location, south of town, in 1954. The following year the factory was considerably enlarged. In 1961 Mr. Louis Markus sold his share of the business to his brothers. Andrew Markus became president and Robert Markus became secretary-treasurer. In 1963 a large chicken house, in the rear of the factory, was remodeled and made into a plastic top department.
In 1948, Mr. Al Hilmes started a school bus service for the grade school and high school students of the Aviston community. This service has continued to the present time.
In 1948, Mr. Charles Hegger began a bus service for the students of Aviston Grade School and Aviston Community High School. Two buses were, added in 1951.
Mr. Ray Foppe started a trenching and digging service in 1954. This business was sold to Mr. Charles Hegger and Mr. Paul Netemeyer in 1956. In 1957, Mr. Hegger bought the interest of Mr. Netemeyer and became sole owner.
In September, 1954, Legionnaires in the Aviston area organized the Mondt-Lampe Post 1239 of the American Legion. The first meetings were held in the Village Hall and later in the Imming furniture store. In June 1960, ground for a permanent Legion Home was purchased south of town from Alphonse Lampe. The present Legion home was formally dedicated on April 20, 1961. The first commander was James Monaghan and the present commander is Paul Strubhart. The Post now has a total membership of 100 men. The Post is named after Private Urban Mondt, who died in France in World War I and Tech Sergeant Joseph Lampe, who died in Belgium in World War II.
The American Legion Auxiliary Unit to Mondt-Lampe Post 1239 was organized on March 4, 1956. The unit has a total membership of 74 at the present time. Mrs. Verena Markus is president.
The Powder-Puff Beauty Salon was established by Mrs. Elmer Schrage in 1961. This business is located in a trailer east of the telephone building.