City and Township of Carlyle

(Clinton County)

 

Source: "1881 History of Marion & Clinton Counties, Illinois"

 

The early history and settlement of Carlyle dates back nearly three-quarters of a century, and antedates the admission of the state of Illinois into the Union. The first settlers were of English birth or parentage. Hence the name they gave it, Carlyle, in honor of Sir Thomas CARLYLE, of England, who was then so dear to every English heart, and who in the eighteenth century figured so prominently in literature and matters of state in the mother country. These, however, were not the only pioneers of the wilds of the west, which this then was. There was the native Georgian, the tall and athletic Kentuckian, the fearless backwoodsman from Tennessee, the Knickerbocker, the Buckeye, and last but not least, the representative from the Old Dominion, so proud of his birth and native State. To these hardy pioneers do the present generation owe a debt of gratitude hard to cancel. In short, the enjoyments now realized by this generation, the well-to-do farmer, the merchant, the lawyer, the doctor, the banker, and the tradesman of every craft, - they owe to those fearless pioneers, who braved every hardship, underwent every inconvenience, faced the wild Indian, and blazed the way for the incoming tide of immigration and civilization that now dots our land from the Atlantic to the Pacific. These efforts of the hardy few, are written, not only in our histories, but more unmistakably engraven upon every highway in the land.

Carlyle township is in the form of an oblong square, being the broader from north to south, and contains nearly twenty sections, or upwards of 12,000 acres. It is very nearly divided between prairie and timbered land, the former occupying the western half of the township. The Kaskaskia enters the precinct in the south-east corner of section five, and flows in a south-westerly direction, when it passes into Santa Fe township from section thirty-six, town two north, and range three west. The township is bounded on the north by Wheatfield and Irishtown; on the east by Clement; south by Lake and Santa Fe; and west by Wade. A more beautiful spot of country does not exist in the state of Illinois, that the precinct and town of Carlyle. According to the census of 1880 it contained 2,450 inhabitants, of various nationalities, the English and German predominating. At the time of township organization, in 1874, it contained all the territory now known as Carlyle, Wade, Clement, and a part of Santa Fe, and was subdivided for convenience of town purposes in 1875 and '76.

Pioneer Settlements.

From the best information, the first white man who struck a blow toward civilization in Carlyle township, was a pioneer by the name of John HILL, about 1812. He built a log fort, or block house, a little north and west of Dr. KNAPP's present dwelling, which is situated in Lower Town, on Fairfax street. Indeed, it is said that the logs composing the western half of Dr. Knapp's residence once formed a part of the old Hill Fort. Mr. HILL established a ferry near where the suspension bridge now spans the river. On the west side of the river he erected a rude pole cabin for temporary use at the ferry. This cabin and the block house were the first houses, or steps toward civilization in Carlyle, and probably in the county, except the brush cabin built in Brookside in 1810, by the old hunter and trapper, William TAYLOR, of Tennessee. From whence HILL came, or where he went after selling out his possessions, we have been unable to ascertain. In 1816 Mr. HILL sold out his claim (he had entered land under the $2.00 act) to Mr. Charles SLADE, who had just made his advent here with two brothers, Richard and Thomas, all single men. They were English by birth, but came from Alexandria, Virginia, to Carlyle. Charles afterward married the daughter of John KAIN, from which union several children were born, two of whom are yet living in Carlyle; William and Virginia, both being among the oldest native citizens of the town. Richard, also a son of Charles, and a son-in-law of Judge BREESE, went into the Mexican war, and died at Santa Fe, New Mexico. Alfred, another son, unintentionally or otherwise, killed a man in Carlyle, fled to the plains where he was for some time in the employ of the Overland Mail company, and was finally hung by Vigilantes in Virginia City, Montana Territory, Jan. 4th, 1862, a full account of which may be found in Mark Twain's "Roughing It."

Richard and Thomas SLADE, brothers of Charles, remained single men while here, and therefore left no representatives. Charles became one of the most prominent men in southern Illinois. Soon after coming to Carlyle, he and a man named HUBBARD brought on a general stock of goods and went into the mercantile business on a scale befitting the wants of the few settlers at that time. Their store-room was situated in Lower Town, block 3, Fairfax street, on the ground now occupied by E. B. LOCKWOOD. They were, therefore, the first merchants in this section of the country. In a few years SLADE became a large land-owner, and one of the most influential men of the times. In 1831 he was chosen member of Congress to represent this part of the state. On his return home from Washington in the spring of 1832, when near Vincennes, Indiana, he was taken suddenly sick with the cholera, and died in a few days. His remains were brought home to Carlyle for interment. Thus ended the career of one of the pioneers of Carlyle, and substantial men of his time.

John KAIN, father-in-law of Charles SLADE, came to Carlyle about the same time as the Slades. He was a native of Virginia, but afterward moved to Ohio. When the tide of immigration began to turn toward the Prairie State, he was one of the first to say, "Westward Ho!" The mother of Col. BACON's wife was a daughter of Mr. KAIN. The Colonel is now one of the leading citizens of Clinton county. Mr. KAIN was one of the enterprising men of those early times. He brought up a very respectable family of five children, and died at a good old age, in the spring of 1833. Mrs. KAIN, his wife, died many years before her husband.

Harry WILTON, another pioneer, and one among the most prominent to the present generation, as his death occurred but a year or two ago, was a native of England, but migrated to Illinois from the state of Pennsylvania in 1816. He came with his father in 1811, and first located at Kaskaskia. There he remained until 1816, when he left the fireside of his parents and came to Carlyle. It is related that when he came here he brought a plow the whole distance on horseback. He was in public service his whole lifetime after he grew to manhood. It is said that he has filled every county office in the county since its organization. He was the first county clerk of Clinton county, and years before the organization of Clinton county from Washington, he was sheriff of that county. He brought up quite a large family. Mr. John ROPER, now living in the Carlyle, was his son-in-law. There are none of the name now living in the precinct, but there are several indirect representatives of the family who reside in this township. Mr. WILTON was marshal of the state for some years, and bore the confidence of all who knew him. About 1851 he moved to Springfield, Illinois, but afterwards, it is said he moved to Bond county to live with one of his children, where he died in 1879, almost at the age of a centenarian.

Daniel COLLINS, a native of Maryland, migrated here in 1819, and settled at the forks of the Vincennes and Shawneetown road. He died about 1825. Several of the family are yet living in the county. Daniel, Jr., lives in Clement township, and is a prominent farmer and stock raiser. In 1819, Joseph ABBOTT, an Englishman by birth, came with his family from Baltimore. He was very wealthy, for those times, and erected a fine house, in the English style of architecture, in what is known as Upper Town. Mr. ABBOTT died here in 1824. Mrs. ABBOTT, and her two sons, John and William, left this county for parts unknown in 1840. None of the family or kin are now residing here.

Another old settler, Mr. John CLABAUGH, came in the fall of 1828. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and came west a single man. He afterwards married here, and brought up a family. He has two sons, both married, now living in Carlyle. In an early day Mr. CLABAUGH carried the U. S. mail from St. Louis to Vincennes. Carlyle was then almost uninhabited. Only now and then a house dotted its territory.

Subsequently others settled here; among the more prominent were Jesse JONES, present county judge. He was a native of Tennessee, and came in 1830. Zophar CASE, a native of Trumbull county, Ohio, came in 1833. His wife, Mary E. HALSTEAD, was a native of Kentucky, and came to the county in 1830. Daniel WHITE, justice of the peace, and attorney at law, was born here in 1822. J. M. MADDUX, one of the prominent merchants of Carlyle, is a native born, and is now fifty-six years of age. There were also Judge BREESE, J. M. O'HARNETT, James WEIGHTMAN, the BONDS, the SCOTTS, Benj. SMITH, Dr. AFFLIC, S. SADDLER, T. HARVEY, and many others too numerous to mention, but before we close this chapter we will give our readers all the names of the heads of families in Carlyle, in the year 1837.

One of the old settlers, Zophar CASE, tells this anecdote of himself, and introduces it by saying "That it was really his first start towards prosperity." In about 1812, two fearless pioneers, one of whom was named YOUNG, were passing through this part of the state farther west, when they were ambushed by Indians, down by the river, not far from the old mill. In their attempt to escape both were killed and scalped by the Indians. Their bodies were found and buried near where they fell. In time it became rumored that YOUNG was a wealthy man, coming west to seek his fortune, and that when he was killed he had $5000 in gold on his person. No one at the time of his death knew anything about it, not even the Indians who had shot him. This rumor and talk finally made the impression on the people of that date - between 1830 and 1840 - that there was really a gold mine in that region if the body of YOUNG could be found. Mr. CASE, it seems, was one who caught the fever, and began digging in various places near where it was said that YOUNG was buried. It must be remembered that at this time Mr. CASE was in rather indigent circumstances. The result was that it soon got rumored around that Mr. CASE had finally found Young's body, and the wonderful amount of gold he possessed. Indignation ran high against Mr. CASE on account of being a grave robber, etc., etc. He, however, kept wisely still, and rather encouraged that discouraged the belief. Indeed he went so far as to borrow some gold coin of the "Old Man," HAMLIN, (who is yet living in Carlyle) and when CASE would meet his neighbors he would mysteriously exhibit the coin, look wise, and pass on. The final effect was that Mr. CASE from that time on had no difficulty in getting plenty of credit, and, as it were, was lifted at once into notoriety, and took his place among the foremost men of the town, which he has occupied ever since. This is rather a strange anecdote, and we wonder if it does not convey a moral.

The First School-house was situated on lot 16, in block No. 4, Lower Town, and was built by public subscription. The exact date of its construction we were unable to ascertain, but was not far from 1828 or 1829. It was a small frame building, weather-boarded with split shakes or clap-boards, rived out for the purpose. The roof was of the same material. This house was also used for holding church services in, for several years. Indeed, it was the first church as well as the first school-house in the township. In 1838, it was moved to the south-east corner of block 7, Lower Town, and utilized by Thomas BOND for a smoke house. About two years ago it was destroyed by fire.

Simeon WALKER, J. J. BENSON, William MITCHELL, and Rev. Mr. THOMPSON were among the pioneer preachers. They were all of the Methodist persuasion. A man by the name of SALE, was probably the first teacher. He lived but a short time in this part of the county. The first justices of the peace were: Harry WILTON, Joshua T. BRADLEY, Calvin BARNES - who was also the first surveyor, John O'MELVANY, John M. O'HARNETT, and Robert CROCKETT. Wm. H. TERRELL, Thos. B. AFFLIC, Dr. HOLLINGSHEAD, and Dr. J. SANBURN were the first physicians.

The first blacksmith was David DOW, whose shop was situated near the corner of block 35, Middle Town, now Fairfax street. The exact date of his operations is not known. John KAIN kept the first hotel. The house is yet standing on Fairfax street, Lower Town, and is one of the relics of the olden time.

The first mill of any pretensions, was the water grist-mill, built by Charles SLADE, in 1829. It was an unpretentious affair, having but one run of stone, but was the best at that time of any other of the kind for miles around. It was destroyed by fire in 1831. This mill, although much improved, is still standing on the old site, and will be noticed in this chapter in its proper place. A wooden bridge used to span the river just above this mill where the suspension bridge now crosses. It went down in 1830. Prior to this the old Vincennes, Shawneetown and St. Louis trail or road, crossed the river, and came out on the western side just under where the toll-house now stands. Mr.CLABAUGH, informs us that he has often forded the river here on horseback with the United States mail strapped on behind him.

The first blooded stock was introduced into this township in 1839, by a man named MCVICKER. He imported several cows of the Durham breed, some of which he sold for $300 per head. Stock is not made a specialty in this precinct, yet what is raised will compare favorably with the stock of adjoining towns or counties.

Among the pioneer patriots are the names of John B. ROPER, Wm. H. SLADE, Zophar CASE and M. J. O'HARNETT, who were soldiers in the Mexican war; and James J. JUSTICE, who served in the Black Hawk war.

First Land Entries

The first land entered, as shown in the county records, are as follows; - April 11, 1815, John HILL, Sr. entered the south-west quarter of sect. 18, 160 acres; April 20, 1815, Stacey MCDONOUGH entered north-east quarter sect. 19; April 26, 1815, William RIGGS entered the north-west quarter and the south-east quarter of sect. 5, 320 acres; on the same day, J. M. MOORE, entered south-west quarter sect. 5; Sep 28, 1816, Wm. MORRISON, entered 320 acres in sect. 20; Nov. 27, Charles SLADE entered 289 47/100 acres in sect. 19; Dec. 2, 1816, Edward MCCART, entered south-east quarter sec. 17; July 21, 1817, James MITCHELL, entered 281 64/100 acres in sect. 31; July 29, 1817, Charles SLADE entered 447 76/100 acres in sect. 18; Aug. 16, 1817, Calvin BARNES, entered west half, north-east quarter sect. 18; March 16, 1818, Benjamin DRAKE entered 142 8/100 acres in sect. 30; March 16, 1818, Rolley CONSTANT entered north-east quarter sect. 17; on same day, Joseph ABBOTT entered north-west quarter sect. 8; June 27, 1818, John KAIN entered lots 2 and 3 in sect. 7, 199 46/100 acres, all the above entries are in township 2 north, range 2 west. The following entries are township 2 north, range 3 west.

Jan. 18, 1818, John KAIN entered south-east quarter sect. 13; June 24, 1818, Calvin BARNES entered north-east quarter sect. 24; Dec. 3, 1818, Benjamin DRAKE entered north-east quarter sect. 36; Dec. 16, 1818, Wm. GRUNDY entered west half, south-east quarter sect. 24; March 20, 1819, Benjamin TUCKER entered south-west quarter sect. 24, 160 acres.

City of Carlyle

The first attempt to build a town in what is now Carlyle township, was by Robert MORRISON, father of Don MORRISON, in 1818. This was on the bluff, across the river from the present city of Carlyle, and situated on section 18. The lots were properly surveyed, the town platted, and named Donaldsonville, in honor of the promising son Don, who was then three years of age. The town was placed on record in the name of the son. Of course, a minor could not convey, therefore, no sale of lots were made, and the town of Donaldsonville died still-born. Subsequent to the effort of Mr. MORRISON to start a town, a portion of what is now Carlyle was laid off into town lots; Calvin BARNES, surveyor. With the few families who had then settled on the west side of the river, a nucleus was formed from which the little town began its growth.

By an act of the legislature of 1824, a new county was formed from the counties of Washington, Bond and Fayette; the county to be called Clinton, with the seat of justice to located at Carlyle, on condition that a donation of land should be made to the town of not less that twenty acres.

The donation, or rather deed, was made by Charles SLADE, and his wife, Mary D. SLADE, and was placed on record the 4th of July, 1825. This land was situated in what is now known as Middle Town, and was 6 x 11 blocks in dimension. Since which time there have been two other additions, viz.: Breese and Powers'. Indeed, this little town had aspired to the capital of the State when the seat of government was moved from Kaskaskia to Vandalia; and so well did it present its claim for the honor, that it came within one vote of succeeding; and this one wanting vote was cast against it by Andrew BANKSON, who then was a citizen of Clinton county.

It seems from an old, rusty document before us, found among the archives of the court-house, that there was no regularly incorporated village of Carlyle until 1837. This document is so quaint, and smacks so much of the olden time, that we cannot refrain from giving it in full. It is nearly a half century old, and rusty with age; so much so, in fact, we may not be able to get all the names correct, but will do the best we can. The first is a notice calling all citizens together for the purpose of incorporating the town. But here we present it. It will speak for itself;-

Notice

"Whereas, the town of Carlyle has been troubled with divers nuisances, such as hogs, dogs, &c.,* notice is hereby given that on Tuesday, the 10th day of January next, there will be a meeting of the citizens of the town of Carlyle at the school-house for the purpose of incorporating said town. All persons interested will please to attend.

A. Citizen.

Carlyle, December 19th, 1836"

The following are the minutes of the meeting:

"At a meeting of the citizens of Carlyle and vicinity on the 10th day of January, A. D. 1837, at the school-house in said town, in pursuance of the attached notice, which had been posted up ten days in three public places previous to said meeting, and in pursuance of an act of the General Assembly of the State of Illinois, entitled an act to incorporate the inhabitants of such towns as may wish to be incorporated. Approved February 12th, 1831—"

"John M. WEBSTER, Esq., was unanimously chosen President, and J. BRADLEY, Clerk; who, being qualified according to law by Henry SEAGRAVES, Esq., a justice of the peace in and for Clinton county, Illinois, entered upon several duties."

State of Illinois }

Clinton Co. } ss.

"I certify that John M. WEBSTER as President, and J. P. BRADLEY as Clerk, were severally sworn by me on the 10th day of January, 1837, according to law, as President and Clerk of the aforesaid meeting."

H. SEAGRAVES, J.P.

[Seal]

"When on motion of Mr. CASE, a committee of three persons were appointed by the President, to wit: Messrs. CASE, BRADLEY, and SEAGRAVES, to ascertain the number of inhabitants of said town. And they reported the town of Carlyle to contain 167 souls, with families as follows: Franklin HERVEY, 8 souls; John M. WEBSTER, 6 souls; John SCOTT, 19 souls; Zophar CASE, 4 souls; J. BRADLEY, 7 souls; Henry SCOTT, 3 souls; William COLLIN, 16 souls; H. MEHR, 10 souls; T. B. AFFLICK, 7 souls; Jas. E. WATKINS, 5 souls; Sidney BREESE, 11 souls; Mary D. SLADE, 6 souls; Caroline SLADE, 3 souls; Wm. BEIEING, 5 souls; A. DINGHTY and J. WILCOX, 2 souls; Mrs. ABBOTT, 3 souls; David DREW, 7 souls; D. G. HOWARD, 4 souls; Wm. FOSTER, 3 souls; Henry SEAGRAVES, 3 souls; H. T. MASON, 6 souls; Mrs. O'MELVANY, 3 souls; E. A. HADEN, 6 souls. Total, 167 souls. When the report was accepted by the meeting, and the question was put on the vote of incorporation viva voce."

"Those who voted in favor of incorporation were as follows, viz.: Messrs. PHELPS, HADEN, H. SCOTT, HERVEY, WEIGHTMAN, CASE, KIRKHAM, DAVENPORT, P. BOND, COLLIN, WEBSTER, CLABAUGH, LINGHTY, NEELY, GOODMAN, BRADLEY and WATKINS - 18. Those who voted against were: Henry SEAGRAVES - 1."

"When the meeting adjourned until Tuesday evening next, at ___ o'clock, P. M., to meet at this place."

John M. WEBSTER, President.

J. BRADLEY, Clerk."

Here follows another notice for Tuesday evening, as follows:

"To the Voters of the Carlyle Corporation: Take Notice:

"That on Tuesday evening next, at early candle-light, an election will be held at the school-house in Carlyle for Five Trustees who are residents and freeholders in said town, for the said corporation, for one year. J. BRADLEY,

Clerk of the Corporation."

Carlyle, January 11th, 1837.

"Tuesday evening, January 17th, A. D. 1837. Corporation met pursuant to adjournment, when an election was held for Five Trustees for said corporation for the year, and the votes were as follows, viz.:"

Then comes the vote, which we will omit, but give the "recapitulation:" -

"Franklin HERVEY had 16 votes for Trustee; John M. WEBSTER 15; John SCOTT 15; Zophar CASE 14; William COLLINS 12; P. BOND 11; T. B. AFFLIC 9; J. M O'HARNETT 8; H. SCOTT 3; BRADLEY, 3; HADEN 2; KER 1;

Whereupon it appears that F. HERVEY, J. M. WEBSTER, John SCOTT, Z. CASE and William COLLIN were duly elected Trustees for the ensuing year of the town of Carlyle; when, on motion Mr. HERVEY, the meeting adjourned.

John M. WEBSTER, President.

J. BRADLEY, "Clerk"

The village charter was amended in 1853, and again in 1865.

In 1864 a bill was offered in the General Assembly to amend the old charter of 1853, and further increase the powers of the town of Carlyle. This bill became a law February 16th, 1865, having passed both houses, and received the signature of Richard J. OGLESBY, then Governor of Illinois, at the date above written.

The present officers of the town are as follows: President, Darius KINGSBURY; Councilmen, J. W. ROBINSON, Aug. SCHLAFLY, Henry KELLING, and H. A. NIEHOFF; Police Magistrate, Patrick FLANAGAN, Constable, Wm. REINSMITH.

The growth of the town of Carlyle has not been rapid, but of a slow and gradual increase. It is situated on the O. & M. Railway, and is also on the old route from Vincennes and Shawneetown to St. Louis. Steamboats have navigated the Kaskaskia as far as this point. The first boat that made the trip was the Bellevue, in the spring of 1837, Capt. NELSON, captain and proprietor. Several other steamers have made subsequent trips to Carlyle. The oldest house in the town now standing was built by John FITCH, and now occupied by Dr. KNAPP for a dwelling. It is situated on block two, corner of Second and Fairfax streets, in Lower Town. As has already been stated, a portion of it is composed of a part of the old Hill Fort. It is said that in a very early day it was occupied by Chas. SLADE and was the headquarters for the Governor and other State officers when on electioneering tours through this part of the State. The first business was transacted in Lower Town by SLADE & HUBBARD, an account of which has already been given. In a few years, however, the western part of the town, or what was called Upper Town, got the boom, and for some time did the main part of the business. The court-house square being located between the two points, business and houses gradually gravitated to that point, and to-day it is the principal and most important part of the town. This was the last part of the town settled, and until about 1845, no business of importance was transacted here. The first brick house erected in the town was by Franklin HERVEY. It was his private residence, and situated in Lower Town, on Fairfax street. This was in 1838. It is yet standing, and is in a fair state of preservation.

City Hall. - This was completed in the spring of 1880. It is a brick structure, two stories high and 15 x 60 feet on the ground, and situated on Ninth street, block 46, lot 10. There is a fire-bell on the building, and the lower story is occupied by the fire company; the upper story is used as an office by the police magistrate. It cost $1800.

Fire Company. - Carlyle Hook and Ladder Company was organized in January, 1869. This company is supplied with five trucks, and everything appertaining thereto for a first-class hook and ladder company. The following are the present officers: H. A. NIEHOFF, president; Samuel SHARP, vice-president; M. MUEHLING, secretary; J. KOCH, treasurer; and H. HADERLEIN, captain. The organization is out of debt, and has plenty of means in the treasury. It has done good and valuable service in its time.

Suspension Bridge. - This was constructed by the county, and reached completion in the spring of 1860. Mr. Griffith D. SMITH, of Pennsylvania, was the contractor and builder. The stone towers are 32 feet in height, capped with brick masonry 35 feet in height. The stone abutments extend from 15 to 16 feet below the surface. The length of the span between the towers is 280 feet. Strong wire cables pass over the towers from side to side and fasten in the abutments on either side; these support the whole structure of the bridge. The cost of this enterprise was $45,000. It is free to all citizens of the county, but foreign travelers are required to pay toll. One of the towers on the eastern side of the river has commenced leaning to the southward; this may prove disastrous to the bridge in time if not remedied. In the flood of 1875, the water touched the bridge, but did no damage. This was five feet above any other known high-water mark.

Public Library and Reading Room. - This was established in 1872, under the auspices of private subscription. The number of volumes procured the first year was about 115, comprising the works of Irving, Prescott, Bancroft, Hume, etc., besides the popular magazines of the day, viz., "Harper's" "Atlantic Monthly," etc. At this writing (1881) the library contains upwards of 700 volumes. The first librarian was Simon C. DEMUTH; the present is Zophar CASE.

The present school-house is a neat, commodious brick structure, built in 1875, at a cost of $10,000. It then contained but four rooms, but the year - 1880 - there was an addition made to it of the same number of rooms at an expense of upwards of $4000. The building is two stories, constructed entirely of brick, and employs seven teachers. There are six churches, and three newspapers in the town, all of which will be fully set forth in their proper chapters in this work.

Bands. - The little city boasts of three bands - two cornet and one string band. The German Cornet Band was organized in the spring of 1879. The boys are uniformed, and carry fourteen instruments. Burkley's Boys' Band was organized in the fall of 1880, and now carries twelve instruments. The String Band was organized in the fall of 1880, and has seven instruments.

Carlyle Manufactures and Industries

Carlyle City Flouring Mills, J. M. STEWART, & Co., proprietors. - This building was commenced in 1856 by POWERS & MARION, who failed to complete it. It afterwards passed into the hands of N. COWEN & Co., who completed it, and put it in operation in 1866. In 1873 it was purchased by the present proprietors. The mill is situated on the O. & M. R. R. track in block C. Powers' addition. It is a substantial brick building, four stories and basement. The main building is 33 x 50 feet; the engine-room and boiler-house is 24 x 33 feet. In addition to this is a two-story storage-room 33 x 36 feet; also, wheat storage-room or elevator 12 x 30 feet. The company own one block of ground. The machinery is driven by a 100-horse power engine. The capacity of the mill is 200 barrels of flour per day. It has five run of stone and three sets of rolls. The annual value of manufactured product is $200,000. It is purely a merchant mill; most of the shipments are made to the Eastern markets. It gives employment to thirty men. It should be said here that they manufacture their own barrels, which labor is included in the number of hands employed.

Water Flouring Mill. - This is the oldest, mill in this part of the state, and was established by Charles SLADE in 1820. It is now owned by Henry C. ROBINSON, who took possession of it in 1867, and is situated on the Kaskaskia just below the toll-bridge in Lower Town. It is a frame building, three stories high, and in size 30 x 40 feet. It has the American turbine wheel, and runs by water-power nine months in the year, when it is run by steam-power for the remainder of the year, the water being too low to furnish sufficient power. It is purely a merchant mill, and has three run of stone, and has the capacity of manufacturing 75 barrels of flour daily. The property is valued at $20,000 and give employ to eight men. The value of manufactured products per annum is estimated at $140,000. There are two good limestone quarries near the mill, and are profitably operated at times by the mill proprietor.

Lumber Mill, owned and operated by R. C. BOOTS - This industry was established in the fall of 1880. The machinery was brought from Moultrie county, Illinois. It is situated in Lower Town on the west bank of the river, near the suspension bridge. It has a 16-horse power engine, and cost $4,500. The capacity of the mill is 3,000 feet of lumber per day, and gives employment to eight hands. The annual value of manufactured product is $9,000. It has double-saws, side-saw and cut-off. The logs are rafted from four to twenty-five miles above.

Elevator. - This was constructed in 1880 by Henry LAUX & Co., and is situated on Tenth street, by the side of the O. & M. R. R. track. It is a frame building, four stories high, and 50 x 36 feet at the base. It has two dumps and all other facilities for rapidly handling grain. It has the capacity of storing 50,000 bushels of grain, and valued at $10,000.

Water Works. - The city, in connection with the O. and M. railroad, have elevated a tank of near the track, with a future intention of furnishing water to all parts of the town. The capacity of the tank is 40,000 gallons. This will prove a great convenience to the town when the enterprise shall be completed.

Hay Press. - This industry was established in 1867, under the firm name of PERINE & Co. In 1871, the firm was changed to SCHLAFLY & Co. In the fall of the same year, changes were made in the partnership, and it again assumed the name of PERINE & Co. In the spring of 1873, the building was struck by lightning and completely destroyed with all of its contents. It was rebuilt in the same year, and conducted in the former firm name. PERINE died, and it took the name of NORCROSS & Co., which it now bears. It has the capacity of bailing 1800 tons of hay per annum, and give employment to five men.

Mineral Water Manufactory. - This factory was established in 1869, by Henry HESS, and passed into the hands of the present proprietor, J. M. MENKHAMS, in the fall of 1880. It is situated on Eleventh street, between Fairfax and Franklin streets. It is a frame building, and with apparatus for manufacture, is estimated at $1200. It contains two fountains of thirty gallons each, and has the capacity of manufacturing 200 boxes of mineral water per day. The annual value of manufactured product is about $4000, and it gives employment to five men and two teams.

Schlafly Hall. - This neat, commodious, little hall, is situated in the Schlafly building in the third story, over the banking-room. It is supplied with four sets of scenery, drop curtain, etc. The stage is 18 x 36 feet, and has three traps. The room is well seated with chairs, and is capable of accommodating an audience of upwards of four hundred.

Blacksmith and Wagon Manufacturer. - Theodore DOLISI, proprietor. This institution was established in the summer of 1878, and is situated on the north side of Fairfax and Twelfth streets. The building is a frame structure, two stories high, and 32 by 80 feet on the ground, and cost $2000. It has steam power for manufacturing purposes, and if run to its full capacity could manufacture 250 wagons and 600 plows annually. Nic DOLISI, brother of the former, is in the implement business in the same building.

Cigar Manufactory. - This factory is situated on the corner of Twelfth and Fairfax streets, and is conducted by Adam SIPPEL. The business was established in 1877. The building is a small, frame structure, 20 by 32 feet in size, and cost, including lot, about $2500. It has the capacity of manufacturing 200,000 cigars per annum, and gives employment to six men. Annual value of manufactured product, $5,000.

John KOCH & Co. - Manufacturers of all kinds of furniture. Established in 1874, and is situated near court-house square, on block 35. Cost of machinery, etc., $1200. Manufactures $4000 worth of merchandise annually, and gives employment to three men.

Brick Yards. - Mr. And. BAUER, has an extensive yard and a capacity of manufacturing upwards of 500,000 brick annually and gives employment to eight men. His works are situated in Lower Town, not far from the old flouring mill. Mr. SNEIDER has an extensive yard on the eastern side of the river, on the road leading to Clement, not far from the wooden bridges crossing the bayous in the bottom.

Albert CRAUSE, Manufacturer of Corn Meal. - Situated on Fairfax and Thirteenth streets. Cost about $1000. Capacity from fifty to sixty bushels of meal per day. Value of manufactured product per annum, $1000.

City Cemeteries. - From the best evidence, the first interments were made in a private burying ground, a little south-west of the town of Carlyle, but from time, almost immemorial, the present cemetery has been the receiver of the city's dead. There are two cemeteries in Carlyle, the Protestant and the Catholic. They are situated in the north-eastern part of the town, about one-half mile from the public square. A good side-walk extends to the gates of both the silent cities; and everything within is in keeping with buildings and improvements of the little town of Carlyle. All the belongings indicate that warm hearts beat in remembrance of their buried dead. In the Protestant cemetery, the fine Scotch granite shaft of Judge Sidney BREESE is to be seen by the passer-by. On this shaft we find recorded that his decease occurred in 1880. He was the projector of the Illinois Central railway, and one of the most eminent jurists of the West. Many of his children and kin lie moldering around him. This is a very old cemetery, but by diligent search, the oldest headstone, which we were capable of deciphering, was a son of Judge BREESE, who was born at Kaskaskia, and died at Grenada, Central America, in 1838. There are five acres of ground enclosed for the Protestant cemetery, and about four acres for the Catholic. And we can say, that but few cities of the dead show such thoughtful care.

Leading Business Houses

Banks. - The band of Louis N. RAMSAY, situated on the corner of Eighth and Franklin streets, was established in 1871. The building is a fine brick structure, consisting of two stories and basement. The bank contains a fire-proof vault, and one of Hall's best fire and burglar-proof safes, and cost $2,400. The capital stock is estimated from $75,000 to $125,000. John W. CORCORAN, Cashier.

The bank of SCHLAFLY Bros. was organized in the spring of 1879. It is located on the corner of Ninth and Fairfax streets, and is one of the finest buildings of the town. The bank contains a fire and burglar-proof vault and safe, also Yates' Time Lock leading to the principal part of the safe. The capital stock is estimated at $100,000. Edward P. KESHNER, Cashier.

Physicians.* - MOORE & MCGAFFIGAN, E. S. RAMSAY, J. T. JORDAN, J. P. KNAPP & Son, John MEYER, Max BRUENING.

Merchandise, General Stock. - C. H. CRAFT, J. B. WULLER, H. LAMPEN, A. H. MILLER, August WESTERMAN, J. W. MADDUX.

Hardware and Tinware. - A. JACOBS, William S. MARRIOTT.

Groceries, Hardware, etc. - BERGER Brothers, J. C. W. SCHNELL Co., B. SCHROEDER & Co., F. W. WEBSTER & Co., Henry BLANKE.

Dry Goods & Clothing. - S. WEIGLE.

Clothing. - A. ABRAMS.

Harness Stores. - Philip FRANK, Jr., William HENTSCHELL, H. F. HEITMEIR.

Boot & Shoe Manufactories. - M. GEIGER, N. TRIERWEILER, Fred. BETHGE, S. MARSHALL, F. HEITMEIR, H. HADERLEIN.

Furniture Stores. - John KOCH & Co., John GANZ.

Boot & Shoe Stores. - BERGER Brothers, F. HEITMEIR.

Machine Warehouses, etc. - J. B. KREBS & Co., Gear SCOTT & Co., W. H. CURTIN, Nic DOLISI, J. H. NICHOLS, Thomas SADLER, J. W. MADDUX.

Agricultural Implements and Carriages. - Wm. ALLEN.

Photographer. - T. JAMES, Jr.

Dentist. - P. S. VINCENT.

Merchant Tailors. - O. G. SINCLAIR, C. D. HOFFMAN, A. H. MILLER.

Blacksmiths & Wagon Makers. - Charles R. JENSON, Joseph, SCHNIDER, N. J. SNYDER, Henry KELLING, James O'NEIL, John SMITH, Charles MOTCH.

Livery Stables. - D. H. CONWELL, T. E. ALLEN, R. J. TRUESDAIL, L. M. HUBERT.

Brick Yards. - A. BAUER, D. HOLDENER, SHCNEIDER Bros.

Grain Merchants. - SCHLAFLY, Bro. & LAUX, WILLIAMSON & ABRAHAM, H. A. HALLERMAN, J. W. MADDUX, STEWART & EAMES.

Lumber Merchants. - H. A. HALLERMAN, Herman BRENEMER, Adam YUNKER.

Insurance Agents. - J. W. MADDUX, Geo. A. BEATTIE, Benj. F. OTHIC, Philip FRANK.

Real Estate & Abstractors. - BUXTON & WHITE.

Florist. - Wm. DENNING.

Carpenter Shops. - FINK Bros., Edward CASE, Peter KESHNER, Henry HOFFMAN, T. H. CONLON, Jacob ROHRBACKER, W. LEONARD.

Meat Markets. - George VERNOR, Ernest JOHN.

Paint Shops. - A. KLEBER, MORGAN & CRAUSE, S. E. HATCH, Geo. WATKINS, A. J. WALKER, J. ROBERT & Son.

Dealer in Sewing Machines, Pumps, etc. - Norman CONWELL.

Restaurants, Confectioners & Bakers. - CORCORAN & KREBS, A. KAHLERT, Philip CONRAD.

Jewelers. - Otto RINK, Henry REIF.

Barbers. - Adam KOHLHAREFF, W. D. WENRICK.

Undertakers. - J. F. SMITH, KOCH & Co., John GANZ.

Milliners & Dressmakers. - Miss Clara BAIRD, Mrs. E. H. WEBER, Misses PRATHER & JOHNSON, Mrs. Jennie SCHULTE, Miss Mettie BOND.

Stock Dealers & Shippers. - George VERNON, David KENNEDY.

Hotels. - TRUESDAIL House, City Hotel, Clinton House, Empire Hotel, HUNTER's Home.

Post-master. - J. W. MADDUX.

Secret Societies

Scott Lodge, No. 79. A. F. & A. M. Chartered Dec. 10, 1849. Present membership 39. Lodge meets in Masonic Hall on the first and third Mondays in each month. The Lodge is in good condition financially.

Knights of Honor. - Jackson Lodge, No 1606. This Lodge was organized May 22, 1879, with a charter membership of 22. Present membership 36. Lodge meets in Masonic Hall, on the second and fourth Friday evenings in each month. The Lodge is out of debt and in a prosperous condition.

Erie Lodge, No. 38, I. O. O. F., was instituted march 31, 1848, with five charter members. Present membership is 51. Meets every Tuesday night, in Masonic Hall, in Truesdail block. The financial condition is among the best in the state, having about $3,000 in the treasury.

St. Dominikus Branch, No. 161, C. K. of A., was chartered Dec. 13, 1880, with 12 charter members. Its present membership is 34. The Lodge meets the first and third Mondays in each month, at Schlafly's Hall. The Lodge is in good working order, and its financial standing is above par.

The Lodge of the I. O. of G. T., No. 286, was organized Feb. 8, 1881, with 39 charter members. The present membership is 46. Meets in Masonic Hall Tuesday evening of each week. The organization is in a good, flourishing condition.

Carlyle Lodge, No. 176, A. O. of U. W., was instituted Dec. 22, 1880, with 60 charter members. Present membership, 67. The Lodge meets every second and fourth Wednesday evening, in the A. O. U. W. Hall. Is in excellent condition financially.

Carlyle, at the time of township organization, and for several years thereafter, was entitled to a supervisor, and an assistant supervisor. The following named persons are those who have represented this township in this capacity up to the present date: - Anthony HUBERT, elected in 1874, and served until the spring of 1881. E. DOENIWALD, assistant up to spring of 1880, when Rufus M. RAMSAY filled the place of assistant for one year. Frederick HEITMEIR was elected in the spring of 1881, and is the present incumbent.

Carlyle has been honored with several noted persons. It has been the home, and is the burial place of Judge Sidney BEEESE, who in fact has had a national reputation as one of the first jurists of the west. Ned BUNTLINE, the novelist, once published a serial literary periodical here, entitled the Carlyle Prairie Flower.

The city at this writing -1881- contains nearly 2,000 inhabitants, and has the facilities and live inhabitants to make it one of the influential, and pleasant little cities of the state.

 


 

Back to 1881 Township Listings

Clinton County ILGenWeb